Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard Plus Top in Bourbon Burst

212West

yep! That's a nice burst!

Epi's have come a loooooooooooooooong way in the last 10 years.

Picked up a used Epi LP Std with 57 Classics for my son's xmas and with a few neck adjustments it's ready to enter the line up as his back up guitar. My son is annoyingly fastidious about his gear and sound (autistic trait I suppose) but reluctantly admits that it truly rivals his Studio and even his Traditional. Need to replace a glitchy input jack though.

As for my recent acquisition of my Epi LP Cust. Pro...the stock ProBuckers seem to hold their own again my SD's, 57 Classics or 490's. I'm now a big Epi fan...at least the newer ones being made in......China and fitted with decent pups.

Congrats. I love mine!

Carnage: the LP PlusTop Pro necks feel great IMHO. Depends on what you're looking for, I guess. It's a 60s style neck - no baseball bat, but not too slim, either. Feels "authentic" when you squeeze out blue notes, but works perfectly well for playing really fast runs as well.

For which you'd probably need to lower the action. They come with what in my opinion is very high action. I got the best tone at a little lower. (I need medium or just below, so I'm still trying to recapture the sweet spot I had between medium and high, tone-wise. I'm almost there.)

While we're on the subject of action and such, the prospective buyer might like to know that even though most LP players usually like a bit more relief than the average Ibanez enthusiast, mine came pretty much dead straight without a hint of fret buzz. So what, sayeth thou, you said it came with very high action. Yes, sayeth I, but I've fiddled around with it, and it works great, no-buzz-wise, at pretty much any action. I added a bit of relief - same thing.

You can tell I like it, right?

The Bourbon Burst doesn't come w/ a pickguard, right?

I'm partial to pickguards. But it is indeed beautiful.

I've had my honey burst for a year come February... I really should try to get a pic up someday. It's beautiful, but doesn't photograph well.

Must be my camera - I, too, am so much better looking in reality than in photos. Dang broken camera.

What multi-tool package...? What; you didn't just get a truss rod wrench that didn't fit, like I did? ;-)

It was in a bag wrapped up with a rubber band

pickguard on the outside

and its clip & screws inside with the truss rod tool.

Didn't mean it came with anything special...

no more free cord.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello good people, my first post on this forum, just so happens that I bought one of these in Bourbon Burst yesterday (my first Epiphone). I had the pick of almost the entire colour range in the shop but when I saw the Bourbon Burst well the contest was over.

With regards to the pick guard, mine is staying off. Why hide that beautiful paintwork with a tacky bit of plastic. Besides I had nightmares last night about drilling holes. Noooooooo!

Oh and since I started playing it I'm convinced I've become a better player. Absolutely delighted with it.

Hello good people, my first post on this forum, just so happens that I bought one of these in Bourbon Burst yesterday (my first Epiphone). I had the pick of almost the entire colour range in the shop but when I saw the Bourbon Burst well the contest was over....

Well done, redskybag, and welcome to the forums!

Archived