Gibson Brands Forums

TUSQ XL Adjustable Replacement Nut

Revolution Six

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

thanks whoever put this link up [thumbup]

its transformed my 2015 les paul special double cut into a guitar I can finally gig with [thumbup]

it autotunes as it should now , best £11 I have spent. Why Gibson don't fit these as standard is

beyond me. Thanks again.

I contacted GraphTech about this nut to see if they had it in Black Tusq XL and also to fit a 2017 Gibson Explorer HP but they said that it is only fits the 2015 Gibsons adjustable nut and not 2016 or 2017 and that they only have the regular (whiteish) Tusq XL in this shape but said something to the effect that they are working on making models to fit the 2016 and 2017 models but the representative did not say whether or not they would have it in Black Tusq XL. This was just a couple of weeks ago. I'll keep an eye out.

BTW, it looks great in that close up!

I think manufacturers need to be able to demonstrate claims such as 'increases tuning stability'.

There are far too many extravagant claims of this nature on all sorts of gear. Tuners (and body design & integrity) determine tuning stability, not the nut. If the nut slots are not cut correctly, it may impede tuning but thats not the same thing at all. Nut slots on any material could be produced incorrectly.

As for the sound. It makes no difference except on open strings.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

What do you think about this Graphtec nut? Thanks

My link

sg_sta34.jpg

sg_sta35.jpg

I put one on my 15 Junior and it’s worked great. I wish Gibson had went with them in the first place instead of those garbage brass zero frets. I think mine was only 15 bucks or so. Even if you don’t like it it’s cheap and easy to swap back.

• 1 month later...

I'm not a fan of the design of these nuts. Ideally you'd only want the slot to have exactly one contact point for the string to hit, but the slots of these nuts are so elongated that that's not necessarily the case and you're potentially stuck with annoying binding at the nut or worse. Feels bad.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I originally posted this on another thread, but it might be better suited here...

I have a 2015 Les Paul Standard. I have the titanium zero-fret nut fitted. My guitar plays perfectly without any open-string fret buzz with the action at the first fret adjusted to 0.012 of an inch on the low E-string and 0.011 on the high E-string. I just got a TUSQ XL nut as I prefer the more traditional look. However, when I installed the TUSQ, I had to set the first fret action at 0.019 of an inch in order to stop the open D & G strings from buzzing against the first fret. This is a real bummer for me as I am used to the lower first fret action - 0.019 is too high. I am wondering if the zero fret on the titanium nut (something the TUSQ does not have) enables me to have a lower, buzz-free action? Has anyone else who has fitted the TUSQ nut had the same issue?

post-57201-062473600 1519915097_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

I originally posted this on another thread, but it might be better suited here...

I have a 2015 Les Paul Standard. I have the titanium zero-fret nut fitted. My guitar plays perfectly without any open-string fret buzz with the action at the first fret adjusted to 0.012 of an inch on the low E-string and 0.011 on the high E-string. I just got a TUSQ XL nut as I prefer the more traditional look. However, when I installed the TUSQ, I had to set the first fret action at 0.019 of an inch in order to stop the open D & G strings from buzzing against the first fret. This is a real bummer for me as I am used to the lower first fret action - 0.019 is too high. I am wondering if the zero fret on the titanium nut (something the TUSQ does not have) enables me to have a lower, buzz-free action? Has anyone else who has fitted the TUSQ nut had the same issue?

I suppose the string slot heights are different on the TUSQ? You might try to re-file the other slots to even up the overall string heights. Its a risk of course, but you need that sorted out. I would be most unhappy at that sort of action change. Perhaps speaking to someone at the company might be an option before trying any remedial work?

Good luck

0,007 inch is nothing, zero. Change the strings you will get an other value IMHO

I know we are talking about very tiny measurements, but I can see & definitely feel the difference between 0.012" and 0.019". Just like I can feel the difference between a set of 9s & 10s - and that's only 0.001" difference between the top E-strings. My Les Paul is still playable with the Tusq nut fitted, just not quite so slick in the open chord position - and I hate compromise. [biggrin]

Archived