Gibson Brands Forums

TUSQ XL Adjustable Replacement Nut

Revolution Six

I suppose the string slot heights are different on the TUSQ? You might try to re-file the other slots to even up the overall string heights. Its a risk of course, but you need that sorted out. I would be most unhappy at that sort of action change. Perhaps speaking to someone at the company might be an option before trying any remedial work?

Good luck

I have spoken to someone at Graphtech, who make the TUSQ XL. They have been very helpful and are quick to respond to queries. It was explained to me that the TUSQ XL nuts are formed at high temperature & pressure in an injection mould machine - the slots are not actually cut, so each TUSQ XL nut should be identical to the next one. Graphtech's technical person suggested the problem might lie with my Les Paul's neck - and it might do, but if Gibson's zero-fret nut works with a lower nut action, I can't see how my guitar can be the problem. Graphtech has kindly offered to replace the TUSQ XL to see if that remedies the problem. If not, it's not the end of the world as the titanium nut works fine - I just wanted more of a traditional-looking nut.

I have spoken to someone at Graphtech, who make the TUSQ XL. They have been very helpful and are quick to respond to queries. It was explained to me that the TUSQ XL nuts are formed at high temperature & pressure in an injection mould machine - the slots are not actually cut, so each TUSQ XL nut should be identical to the next one. Graphtech's technical person suggested the problem might lie with my Les Paul's neck - and it might do, but if Gibson's zero-fret nut works with a lower nut action, I can't see how my guitar can be the problem. Graphtech has kindly offered to replace the TUSQ XL to see if that remedies the problem. If not, it's not the end of the world as the titanium nut works fine - I just wanted more of a traditional-looking nut.

The Graphtech guy is thinking on his feet and not making a lot of sense. He tells you that all TUSQ nuts are produced identical and then offers you a replacement to see if it solves the problem?! It wouldn't hurt to try a replacement, though if it works then they obviously are not all identical.

I also dont see how your guitar can be the problem. The nut should follow the 12" neck rad. Your titanium nut does it ok.

Archived