Gibson Brands Forums

Hello from Norway

Norwegian

Hi all!.Long time lurker, and now a member. I'm a sixty year old Norwegian singer-songwriter with four records out. Apart from my Gibson, I own a 2011 Recording King RD 316, a 2011 Martin D35 and a Fylde (British hand made). But back to the Gibson: I was on holiday in NY for a week two years ago (first and only time in the US), looking for a guitar. I visited GC, Mandolin Brothers, Retrofret and some other shops in the city, not sure what I was looking for. I both strum and fingerpick, so I was looking for something versatile. Then I stumbled upon Rivington guitars downtown Manhattan, and they had several J 45s from the fifties and sixties. I would have liked a birth-year guitar (1956, like Gillian Welch plays :-) ).But alas, the fifties guitars were beyond my price range (2-2500 $), so I conscentrated on the sixties J 45s. Most of these guitars (67-68models) left me underwhelmed (might be some had dead strings), but I felt they did nod deliver what I wanted, and were in the upper 2K. Then, lo and behold, I spied a cherry-burst 65, and it was only 2K. It was punchy, trebly, but with a very deep bass. It had the narrow nut, but I like that. Turned out it was refinished (professionally), hence the somewhat lower price. I played it for half an hour, and bought it on the spot! The thing is, it took me a while to fully appreciate this guitar, because it is not as loud as some of my other guitars, but, oh, so sweet sounding! And it chimes! I have since replaced the adjustable bridge with bone, and now it sounds even better. It has gradually become my go-to guitar, and the one that gets most of my playing time. So, all is good.

I wonder if many here on the forum has any experience with these mid-sixties cherry burst J45's. If so, feel free to chime in. How do they compare to the (legendary) Banners, or the 50s models (I know there are differences in bracing throughout the fifties). I often wonder if I should sell all my guitars and buy an older J45, but I'm not sure if it's worthwhile. Trouble is, here in Norway we don't get to play these vintage ones , only the more recent models, and they lack something compared to mine IMHO..Feel free with advice and experience.

Thanks for reading!

John

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum! Excellent first post and introduction, and conrats on your new narrow-nut J45! Please post some proud pictures; we would love to see it.

I unfortunately dont own an old Gibson - just a newer Bird and J50 - and so I can't add or give meaningful feedback. I can say my two Gibsons are not particularly loud compared to my Martins, but they suit my singing and play perfectly. For me, it's never been about the volume.

I just wanted to chime in and welcome you, as its nice to have a new addition to the forum - with clear interest, guitar experience and knowledge, and I look forward to your sharing some of your music here as well.

Sal

Hey Norway - Good to see you here. Isn't it good - Norwegian tone-wood

Apart from that I played a couple cherry 1964 J-45's which blew me away.

They both had adjustable ceramic saddle (bet you know the concept), but it only gave them more character and wealth.

The 1965 is probably close to these, but might have a narrower nut-width. 1-9/16 opposed to pre-65 1-11/16.

Have to say J-45's are highly different from wave to wave. And starting as early as 1942 one can see why.

I have a 1953 and listening to others from that period there is reason to believe they were born with a certain velvet-voice.

Also have a 1959, which is completely different and much more straight. Among other things, the inner structures changed during 1955.

The 1950 I traded for the 53'er was raw and direct - in fact completely opposite the 53'er and just what the other guy wanted.

I for my part was swept away by the mellow yet 45ish 3 years younger sibling.

Newer models of course is something forth, fifth and so on, , , STILL, , , they are all J-45s.

You can hear the core DNA in there and exactly that is so fascinating. Like a long line of closely related yet different family members.

Do go on the Tube and listen - and wear headphones. It will slowly make you gather a sonic picture of the different flavors.

You should start with Board-member John Thomas' vidoes. He is a serious first wawer and Banner aficionado.

Then listen to Scott Nygaard, move your way up through the 50's and 60's where you eventually

meet Donovan and his early 60's adj. ceramic saddled cherry (at some point stolen) J-45, , , with silk'n'steel strings.

Enjoy the dive and welcome on the river

1948 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9FZznFHdCM

And please post your own pictures and sounds

Thanks for the kind welcome, guys! I will eventually try to post pictures and soundclips, but I am somewhat slow on the digital stuff..

jedzep: Maybe I was a bit unclear. MY price range was up to 2,5 K, the fifties ones were in the mid-to high 3K and up.

blindboygrunt: My records are out on Spotify, Tidal etc (John Kinn), but alas, I write my songs in Norwegian, which might make it a bit difficult to understand.. :-)

E-minor7: Thanks for all the information. John Thomas I,ve heard, and and am planning to buy his book about the Kalamazoo girls. I'm very happy with my guitars, but GAS is not easily cured, and these old J45's sure sound great on the internet!

Thanks all,

John

I have this version of a Neil-classic laying around, but here I play my D35:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fg10vwxodsr9fhj/AABVe-8fQxvQWhHNNgRp2v6na?dl=0

Pretty awesome, John. Welcome aboard.

As Em7 says, J-45's vary significantly not just from era to era, but from guitar to guitar. The top bracing in your '65 is of a different profile and sectional shape compared to older models (even if the bracing layout is generally similar), and that will certain impact on tonal character. But the Gibson slope-shoulder, mahogany-body character comes through from generation to generation--a tendency to overall balance, rather than pronounced treble, bass, or volume, which gives the guitar great versatility as an accompanying instrument.

Enjoy your guitar.

Yeaaa, , , you nail that Cortez splendidly (did you know N.Y. has a secret 50's J-50 with him on tour for the hotel-rooms)

A 45 will make a perfectos counterpoint to the 35.

Be double happy and send us a Donovan tune from the Gibson ;-)

P.S. - when is the 35 from

Hi all!.Long time lurker, and now a member. I'm a sixty year old Norwegian singer-songwriter with four records out. Apart from my Gibson, I own a 2011 Recording King RD 316, a 2011 Martin D35 and a Fylde (British hand made). But back to the Gibson: I was on holiday in NY for a week two years ago (first and only time in the US), looking for a guitar. I visited GC, Mandolin Brothers, Retrofret and some other shops in the city, not sure what I was looking for. I both strum and fingerpick, so I was looking for something versatile. Then I stumbled upon Rivington guitars downtown Manhattan, and they had several J 45s from the fifties and sixties. I would have liked a birth-year guitar (1956, like Gillian Welch plays :-) ).But alas, the fifties guitars were beyond my price range (2-2500 $), so I conscentrated on the sixties J 45s. Most of these guitars (67-68models) left me underwhelmed (might be some had dead strings), but I felt they did nod deliver what I wanted, and were in the upper 2K. Then, lo and behold, I spied a cherry-burst 65, and it was only 2K. It was punchy, trebly, but with a very deep bass. It had the narrow nut, but I like that. Turned out it was refinished (professionally), hence the somewhat lower price. I played it for half an hour, and bought it on the spot! The thing is, it took me a while to fully appreciate this guitar, because it is not as loud as some of my other guitars, but, oh, so sweet sounding! And it chimes! I have since replaced the adjustable bridge with bone, and now it sounds even better. It has gradually become my go-to guitar, and the one that gets most of my playing time. So, all is good.

I wonder if many here on the forum has any experience with these mid-sixties cherry burst J45's. If so, feel free to chime in. How do they compare to the (legendary) Banners, or the 50s models (I know there are differences in bracing throughout the fifties). I often wonder if I should sell all my guitars and buy an older J45, but I'm not sure if it's worthwhile. Trouble is, here in Norway we don't get to play these vintage ones , only the more recent models, and they lack something compared to mine IMHO..Feel free with advice and experience.

Thanks for reading!

John

Hi there and welcome, I had a 1957 Southern Jumbo with the adjustable bridge in my shop last spring. It was for sale. I was intrigued with it and did some research. Apparently this one had the adjustable bridge as an option being a 1957. With the bridge set all the way down the action was a bit high, but playable with original frets and original neck set. The owner wanted me to put it on eBay and said he would be happy with $3000. I looked online to see what new ones were going for, about the same maybe less. Another customer came by with his 1971 J-50 and fell in love with it. He bought it and is very happy with it. We have since added a rosewood blank in place of the ceramic saddle with an unbleached bone saddle. The sound changed dramatically. It Is now very clear and loud. I ended up buying a 2016 Southern Jumbo and think it sounds better than the 1957. The new one seems to be fuller sounding.

WP_20161001_002.jpg

WP_20161001_004.jpg

WP_20161001_005.jpg

WP_20161001_008.jpg

WP_20161001_006.jpg

WP_20161001_009.jpg

WP_20161001_010.jpg

WP_20161001_011.jpg

WP_20161001_012.jpg

WP_20161001_014.jpg

Welcome aboard,John. I am a newby to this site,also but I feel especially interested in greeting you since I was born in Lillehammer 'way back in '47. We moved here to Canada when I was only 2 so I'm not conversant in Norsk but I still remember a bit from my father and my Bestemor. A few weeks ago I bought a used J-45, 2014 version,and am very happy with it. They're wonderful yet simple guitars that reward practice and then, good technique.It was a nice version of Neil's song by the way. Well done. It's funny 'cause I worked in a coffeehouse back in the 60's up in what's now Thunder Bay and was lucky enough to meet Neil and learn some guitar from him. He was a very generous teacher and even let me play his guitars. Ah, that was a long time ago and he's certainly made a big impression on the world since those days.I used to bring him sandwiches to the little rooms he and his band rented at the long-since demolished YMCA! Anyway-hope you enjoy your new guitar and your time on this great site. Hilsen fra Canada!

Hello and welcome! J-45/50 guitars are well-thought-of here on the forum, and I'm happy to learn that we have another fan of such. I can imagine that older Gibson instruments are less obtainable in Norway than in the US. The J-45 'essence', as mentioned earlier exists throughout the line. Examples vary from one decade to the next - considering 1940's, 50's, and 60's - and further variation exists among instruments from each decade. I subscribe to the notion that in many instances older is better, though a lot of that will depend on the preferences of individual players. And, yes, prices have reached levels that put many of the truly vintage pieces beyond the reach of lots of us. During a fair share of the 1970's, my main guitar was a 1966 J-45 which retained the ceramic saddle and had the narrow neck that you mentioned in your original post. It was an excellent guitar which, unfortunately, became difficult for me to play due to the narrow neck. Since that time, I've gravitated toward older 45/50's with wider boards and necks that are more substantial. My '62 J-50 gets considerable use, as does my '55 J-45. Again, they're similar but different in terms of tone and - to a lesser degree - volume. Both tend to flatpick and fingerpick equally well. The '55 is a bit more 'woody' sounding, I suppose, while the '61 is more bright. There are a couple others in the flock, but discussion is likely best left for another time - assuming you're interested and that I haven't bored you into a coma already😴 There are a couple folks on this forum with vintage collections far beyond anything I could ever dream of having, and I'm sure they can share lots more information!

Hello, and a big warm welcome to the forum from Sweden! I think your version of Cortez was super!

I a big fan of the J-45 style guitars. I own an original 1942 J-45 that I bought from the U.S. in about 2011 to have sent to Willi Henkes in Germany for some minor repairs and a health check. I also have a 2012 Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo. I would not call myself a musician, I'm just a hack couch player who recently has been trying to start writing my own song (with a very deficient singing voice). My interst in the guitars and their history is almost as big a part of this hobby for me as the music I'm able to make on them. I kind of see guitars as art.

My experience with Gibson slopes is limited but I can say that my old Banner is my best guitar, but the SJ is not that far behind. The oldie is dryer with a more rumbling bass. I haven't played any from the 50's or 60's but I bet they are great too.

If you want to listen to Banner Gibsons, there is no better place to start than the music CD accompanying John Thomas's book. The album is by Laureen Sheehan and called The Light Still Burns. All songs are acoustic and played only on Banner Gibsons, and recorded very naturally without effects.

All the best,

Lars

Thanks for the kind words everybody. I cannot answer all of you individually, but everything you post interests me, but won't cure my GAS [biggrin] Olies story about Neil is very cool! And to Eminor 7: My D 35 is from 2011.

Oh yes the song is fantastic, I love Neil. I like the way you thump the strings like Neil, I do the same. High break angle helps. I have played that song on my Les Pauls in Neil's typical wall of sound manner. You have inspired me to do more like that with my new D-42 and my 98 HD-28. The Martin sound is unmistakable. Even though I have many new Gibsons that I love, my favorite acoustic is the D-42.

Hi there and welcome, I had a 1957 Southern Jumbo with the adjustable bridge in my shop last spring. It was for sale. I was intrigued with it and did some research. Apparently this one had the adjustable bridge as an option being a 1957. With the bridge set all the way down the action was a bit high, but playable with original frets and original neck set. The owner wanted me to put it on eBay and said he would be happy with $3000. I looked online to see what new ones were going for, about the same maybe less. Another customer came by with his 1971 J-50 and fell in love with it. He bought it and is very happy with it. We have since added a rosewood blank in place of the ceramic saddle with an unbleached bone saddle. The sound changed dramatically. It Is now very clear and loud. I ended up buying a 2016 Southern Jumbo and think it sounds better than the 1957. The new one seems to be fuller sounding.

WP_20161001_002.jpg

WP_20161001_004.jpg

WP_20161001_005.jpg

WP_20161001_008.jpg

WP_20161001_006.jpg

WP_20161001_009.jpg

WP_20161001_010.jpg

WP_20161001_011.jpg

WP_20161001_012.jpg

WP_20161001_014.jpg

Nice work, Pete.

Red 333