Gibson Brands Forums

2 demons i love but cannot choose

hoross

Yes still me

Im dying to get one of these two

Played several times the 1958 standard reissue 1958 vos and a 1957 standard historic gloss goldtop.

Both were awesome and there is perhaps 300 dollars difference.

Im also wondering if the value of both is the same too,so i never had such a problem with the choice cause its a lot of money.....

The value is about the same new or used. If one plays better or fits you better, go with that one. No matter which one you get, you will always think the other one could have been better. If they are equal, get the one that looks better to you.

Guest Farnsbarns

No they're different. One isn't better per se although you might prefer one over the other.

The R8 will likely have started out as a slightly lighter body blank and, of course, the maple cap under the finish of the R7 could be ugly as hell, or just not figured. Might even be 3 pieces.

The R8 will have a less v shaped neck.

You seem to be trying to choose guitars based on what other people think. You have had the same responses time and time again. Play them, buy the one you like the best. That's it.

VOS and gloss are basically identical with different lacquer finish and aged vs non-aged hardware. That's it.

If you were me you'd be looking for the one with most "breatheyness" or "woodiness" in the tone (assuming theyre all set up and play nicely). You're not me and those adjectives don't really mean anything so my thoughts, or anyone elses, are meaningless.

I thought you already had ordered one:

Now yes i took the R8 i need to wait for the colour ICE TEA a few weeks they didnt had others in stock.

Does that shop order it for you, and then keep it if you dislike something about it?

Jeez my Gibson dealer didn't want to take back the Quick Connect Pu's they ordered for me, and it wasn't even my fault. They had the wrong connectors!

What store is it, and do they have a webshop too?

To answer your question Mr Jones i did order the 58 reissue a while ago however they couldnt get it anymore at this price and changed totally price so had to cancel the guitar cause it was a huge difference of 1500 dollars more.Now i found another dealer that got me cheaper and i ordered finally a 58 reissue vos lemon burst and hope to get it before new year or by january 2017 so im really thrilled.Yes i agree it took a while but its not my fault and i even hesitated with the goldtop 57 but im not that crazy about goldtops.

• 1 month later...

The R7's are usually associated obviously of course with GOLDTOP etc.. Unless you have one already then this could be one of the deciding factor besides the feel and finish/weight etc.

Now the R8 VOS is another beast to be reckon with along with the other Ri's like the R9 [thumbup] which I love dearly.

The VOS treatment is another take of having a sort of flat matte finish with thinner nitro to elusively release the true nature of the wood and finish to breath and resonate all the while the looks and non-gloss light sheen feel of the axe. I sort of picture it like a waxed red apple as opposed to a nice glossy one.

If you like the feel/looks and characteristics of the GT and you don't have one yet ( I say you got to have a least one GT in the herd )The the VOS R8 is no flake. R4-R6-R7-R8-R9 along the line is not a must but at least 1 or 2 would be grand :rolleyes:

All in all at the end of the day? GO WITH YOUR GUT! [tongue]

Good Luck and have fun hunting er' down..............you'll get there in no time soon! :-({|=

Trans

Archived