Gibson Brands Forums

Im now an owner of a epiphone Les Paul w questions

MetalHead64

Well, I'd like to congratulate you on your purchase, but there's an unwritten forum rule: Pics, or it didn't happen! :) [rolleyes]

The stock pickups may do nicely. I swapped the single coils of most of my Fenders for stacked noiseless pickups, but as far as humbuckers go, I only replaced the microphonic ones of my cheap LP copy I had bought in 1980 for a DiMarzio PAF in the neck and a Seymour Duncan SH-5 Duncan Custom in the bridge position.

All the other humbuckers of Epiphone, Gibson and Ibanez guitars of mine are still stock. No problems at all, no microphonics, no sound problems, everything under control through amp and, if applicable, FX settings.

Another point is that the exact sonic result achieved with a replacement pickup is hardly predictable for a particular guitar, let alone from a far. It is always about the entire package with the pickups being just a part of it. Starting with fingers, pick and strings, it includes every link of the sound chain like nut, bridge, frets, woods, pickups, controls, cable, additional gear (no true bypass FX, please!) to amp and speaker. Then there are the venues... I learned it the hard way during my early guitarist years, and my pals did the same, too. :unsure:

Long story short, I first would give the stock pickups a try. B)

Please remember, I'm curious about some pics, and I'm not the only one for sure... [love][biggrin]

Hello

Im new to the site and just got a Les Paul standerd I play Heavy Metal and classic rock

was just wondering what pick ups some of you use in your Les Paul? just needing a little FRIENDLY

advice

Thank you

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Welcome on board and congrats on joining the family! The stock pickups are great for classic rock, but if you want to experiment without spending too much cash try Iron Gear pickups (http://www.axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_069.htm) They do a range of options from pure Kosoff/Page/green type to full on metal. I'm sure you'll find your new best friend in there somewhere...

Oh and +1 on the pics!

I agree with kidblast. Off the top of me noggin, I don't remember what magnets are in the Probuckers, but you can get them pretty hot by raising them.

They're not gonna get death metal-hot though, but I assume you're leaning more toward classic metal?

You can, of course, swap them out for EMGs, which would be heresy, since you don't buy an LP to LOSE the warmth of the tone. I have nothing against EMGs per se, though. Or the chainsaw EMG tone.

This is advice based on this much experience with swapping out pickups: ABSOLUTELY none! Every guitar I've bought, I've bought because I've liked how it sounded, much like der Meister Kapitan above. Good for me, right? If I were to swap out Probuckers for something hotter, though, I probably would look into Seymour Duncans.

All subjective, YMMV, and so on and so forth.

Don't do anything rash, tho. And if you do, save the Probuckers. I may not have swapped out a single pickup in my life, but I've played one or fifty since 1990, and I don't know if there even IS a general consensus available, but myself, I like the Probuckers better than the BurstBucker Pros. They're a little grittier, and in a good way. A perfect fit for an LP, methinks.

Keep us updated, and welcome to the club :)

Archived