Gibson Brands Forums

HEADPHONE OUT TO SPEAKER

Lunatic

Hi all, can you connect a headphone output direct to a speaker? I've got a Laney IRT Pulse but no headphones. Got a spare 8ohm 10" speaker so was wondering if this would work before going out and buying headphones. Thanks

Hi all, can you connect a headphone output direct to a speaker? I've got a Laney IRT Pulse but no headphones. Got a spare 8ohm 10" speaker so was wondering if this would work before going out and buying headphones. Thanks

You won't hurt anything, but the phones output will likely be too low to move the speaker cone. Try it and see.

Guest Farnsbarns

Hang on. I'm confused.

The answer is no but if you want to drive another speaker from a headphone socket how does buying headphones help?

Guest Farnsbarns

My understanding is that only if the speaker idea doesn't work will the headphones be purchased; "Plan B" as it were.

Pip.

Ah yes. Reading the op I thought our friend was considering using a 10 inch speaker as headphones. I would think it might look odd and may be cumbersome bouncing about atop ones head when the bass kicks in.

Sorry Lunatic. I jest of course.

It shouldn't be a huge job to add a speaker output to that. Or just wire 2 16 ohm speakers in parallel to get an 8 ohm load.

My understanding is that only if the speaker idea doesn't work will the headphones be purchased; "Plan B" as it were.

Pip.

Correct. Will give it a try and report back. I think surfpup's right though. Thanks chaps

Archived