Gibson Brands Forums

Inquiries of an old J-45 before triggering...

gotomsdos

Hi, buddies.

I'm looking for a good 1946-1951 Gibson J-45.

After a couple of talk to the seller, Considering whether or not purchase a 1951 Gibson J-45 for 6000 USD...I know little of vintage stuff, no experience. can see little from pics, except cosmetically appearance, so offer a couple of inquiries before triggering. Help, please,if you can. Any input would be appreciated a lot. Thank you in advance.

Main Condition:

Top center seam repair

One side crack repaired

replacement saddle

replacement tuner (older Kluson closed 3 on 1, seems period correct)

Newer, non original brown alligator, Stone brand case included

===Inquiry price===

What about the price?

===Inquiry Top center seam repair===

Top center seam separation repair as below:(also look at the below one)

I'd like to know some knowledge of top center seam repair.

1, What about the repair?

Clean ? Normal ?

2, Is a top center seam separation repair an undesirable disadvantage ?

3, Cause

What causes top center seam crack ? What condition of weather and its impact on top wood (in the process of many many years gone through) does a top center seam crack usually tell ? Because of dry weather ?

===Inquiry bridge===

The bridge is as below:(also look at the above one)

1, Is the bridge Original ?

(The seller says: it certainly looks original. but the description does not mention bridge's originality)

2, Are there plenty of saddle left ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, buddies.

After a couple of talk to the seller, Considering whether or not purchase a 1951 Gibson J-45 for 6000 USD...I know little of vintage stuff, no experience. can see little from pics, except cosmetically appearance, so offer a couple of inquiries before triggering. Help, please,if you can. Any input would be appreciated a lot. Thank you in advance.

Main Condition:

Top center seam repair

One side crack repaired

replacement saddle

replacement tuner (older Kluson closed 3 on 1, seems period correct)

Newer, non original brown alligator, Stone brand case included

===Inquiry price===

What about the price?

===Inquiry Top center seam repair===

Top center seam separation repair as below:(also look at the below one)

I'd like to know some knowledge of top center seam repair.

1, What about the repair?

Clean ? Normal ?

2, Is a top center seam separation repair an undesirable disadvantage ?

3, Cause

What causes top center seam crack ? What condition of weather and its impact on top wood (in the process of many many years gone through) does a top center seam crack usually tell ? Because of dry weather ?

===Inquiry bridge===

The bridge is as below:(also look at the above one)

1, Is the bridge Original ?

(The seller says: it certainly looks original. but the description does not mention bridge's originality)

2, Are there plenty of saddle left ?

Kind of beat for the money asked.. $ 4000 tops. Not much special there.

The top seam repair isn't all that unusual and is often due to dry conditions. Looks to be done properly. Bridge is OK as far as the photos show and is as used c.1951. The tuners being replacements isn't an issue for player-grade, which this is. If possible, talk w/the seller re. your concerns and also inquire about neck angle/action. All-in-all, it doesn't seem like a bad guitar. However, the price strikes me as a bit inflated. I'd check the web for recent sales figures to see what the current market is actually (selling, not asking price) for approximate years and condition. Personally, I wouldn't pay $6000! The $4000 range would be more within my comfort zone. Presuming, of course, that tone and such met my requirements - otherwise I'd likely keep looking. If you have $6000 to spend, you have lots of options😒

Just because people ask high prices. It does not mean they sell high. Id do some shopping. Lots of good guitars out there it just takes patients.

Most folks got to have. Because they cannot wait for a better one. I got a banner 45 two years ago. 4400 cdn. So they are out there.

All-in-all, it doesn't seem like a bad guitar. However, the price strikes me as a bit inflated. I'd check the web for recent sales figures to see what the current market is actually (selling, not asking price) for approximate years and condition. Personally, I wouldn't pay $6000! The $4000 range would be more within my comfort zone. Presuming, of course, that tone and such met my requirements - otherwise I'd likely keep looking. If you have $6000 to spend, you have lots of options😒

What he said. Also, no photos of back and sides, fretboard, and back of neck for wear comparison.

If you haven't done so recently--I know you've been looking for a long time-- you need to visit all the reputable US vintage dealers' websites. Chances are if you are not buying from a US dealer or US individual, you are paying too much. Some dealers here have the reputation for good guitars but very high prices.

Having said that, you will next ask who the good dealers are, and everyone here will have a different opinion. Gruhn, Norman's, and a number of others across the US. Also check John Shults' Truevintageguitar. There are a number of newer vintage dealers in Nashville that others here may know.

You need the FON (effectively the serial number) of J-45's between 1947 and 1954 to pin down the year properly. 1946-1951 is a great period for the J-45, from my perspective, if a Banner J-45 is out of reach financially.

Hello buddy to you, too-

Nothing about the issues you've mentioned would throw me off the trail of a good guitar. Center seam issue is not a deal breaker. Same with the side crack repair (but let's see the inside . . . any cleating at the repair?). I have bought from Guitar Gallery; a reputable dealer, and you will pay more for that reputation. There are other, equally, or even more established dealers, such as

Also check out Retrofret and Rivington in NYC.

Vintage Instruments' Fred Oster has built his business on his reputation, as well as his appearances on the television show "Antiques Roadshow". Fred will also listen to your needs and suggest (or find) the guitar that meets the sound and condition that you are looking for. Of course, you will pay a premium for this, but you will not be getting a guitar with any funny business going on. Surprisingly, he has a '52 J-45 for less ($5850) than the one you are about to trigger upon: Link:

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-09%20at%2012.29.00%20PM_zpscjtu4aez.png

Maybe it sounds as good, maybe it doesn't. Expect just a little off of the asking price from dealers at this level. You have been searching for a long, long time. Sooner or later, you will have to take a chance. Just by "getting in" by purchasing any J-45/SJ from this, or the mid-late 1940's (the 1946 Gibson flat tops have been getting noticed by many as having a certain something to them), you will have a reference point, and will get more of an idea what to listen for. Are there no shops in your country? Can you take a trip on your continent and try some guitars? You will feel better if you can play first, or buy with an approval period/return policy.

Hopefully, you will be triggering soon.

heres one in cdn prices..

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/regina/1957-gibson-acoustic-guitar/1218316326?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

and pretty much the original foot print for correct tuners..

Slim- that is a beautiful (~ $4174, U.S.) ADJ you've found on Kijiji. Lovingly photographed, and should the "been in the family since new" story check out, which seems likely, the guitar would be a fine way to explore what the adjustable bridge brings to the J-45 equation. As you mention, non-original tuners not much of a concern. But an ADJ bridge J-45 might be better for someone already having an old J-45 with the more standard solid rosewood bridge who's looking to expand their sound and knowledge of the J-45 variations.

Thank you all for your help !

OldCowboy

slimt

j45nick

Norwegian

62burst

62burst:

I have bought from Guitar Gallery; a reputable dealer, and you will pay more for that reputation.

WOW ! Very glad for a guy to mention the dealer.

Vintage Instruments' Fred Oster has built his business on his reputation, as well as his appearances on the television show "Antiques Roadshow". Fred will also listen to your needs and suggest (or find) the guitar that meets the sound and condition that you are looking for. Of course, you will pay a premium for this,

Very glad for you to let me know Fred Oster's story.

but you will not be getting a guitar with any funny business going on.

Oh, I do not understand what you mean by "funny business". Does it mean seller's dishonesty ?

Surprisingly, he has a '52 J-45 for less ($5850) than the one you are about to trigger upon

I've already searched this one, it's a pity that is a post 1951. My range is 1946-1951, cause some guys say that post 1951 J-45s have laminated sides.

cause some guys say that post 1951 J-45s have laminated sides.

I dont think I would agree with this..

How many rims have we all seen that were split on the sides.. Ive seen quite a few.. if not all the cracks were consistant with length splits.. never once have I seen layers criss crossed.. on early flattops.. unlike J160e tops es 125s, 175s.. and 70s flattops. best way to be sure.. is pull the end pin..

cause some guys say that post 1951 J-45s have laminated sides.

I dont think I would agree with this..

How many rims have we all seen that were split on the sides.. Ive seen quite a few.. if not all the cracks were consistant with length splits.. never once have I seen layers criss crossed.. on early flattops.. unlike J160e tops es 125s, 175s.. and 70s flattops. best way to be sure.. is pull the end pin..

Laminations and rumors of laminations - hell, even some J-160e guitars were all solid. Imho, nothing to worry about until the 1970s or thereabouts. People have been accusing Gibson of imaginary wrongs as long as I can recall.

I agree with others that both the repairs are not an issue and that the asking price is a bit steep. 1950-51 starts the "modern era" for Gibsons in that Ted McCarty re-organized and re-tooled the factory. The early 1950s Gibsons have a far more consistent build then they did in earlier days when a part was considered done when it looked close enough.

goto, I sincerely hope to see you bring the right J-45 back - if not before X-mas - then during 2017.

As I recall it, you have the budget and therefore shouldn't wait'n'chase year in and year out.

It's almost like waste of time, , , sweet musical hours and actual fun, , unless of course you rate hunting higher than playing.

Pull the trigger and get wiser and satisfied from physical 6-stringed facts between your hands.

Well - my 5 Yen best of luck

I agree with others that both the repairs are not an issue and that the asking price is a bit steep. 1950-51 starts the "modern era" for Gibsons in that Ted McCarty re-organized and re-tooled the factory. The early 1950s Gibsons have a far more consistent build then they did in earlier days when a part was considered done when it looked close enough.

Thank you zombywoof for your reply !

Very useful. Just kept it in mind.

goto, I sincerely hope to see you bring the right J-45 back - if not before X-mas - then during 2017.

As I recall it, you have the budget and therefore shouldn't wait'n'chase year in and year out.

It's almost like waste of time, , , sweet musical hours and actual fun, , unless of course you rate hunting higher than playing.

Pull the trigger and get wiser and satisfied from physical 6-stringed facts between your hands.

Well - my 5 Yen best of luck

Thank you E-minor7 for your words.

Yes, Sorry, It's an Odyssey of J-45 way home, like Odyssey is confined by fairy Calypso.

Back last year, something tied me to a rock

@_@O

for about one year, which put me in a cell, no time and mood for guitar hunting.

But now the tie is not untied yet, I just got it a touch loose, eye some old J-45 beauty from cell hole.

Thank you E-minor7 for your words.

Yes, Sorry, It's an Odyssey of J-45 way home, like Odyssey is confined by fairy Calypso.

Back last year, something tied me to a rock

@_@O

for about one year, which put me in a cell, no time and mood for guitar hunting.

But now the tie is not untied yet, I just got it a touch loose, eye some old J-45 beauty from cell hole.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-Gibson-J-45-/252677012418?hash=item3ad4b93bc2:g:Oj8AAOSwa~BYTM5O

make a offer. not mine though..

Thank you slimt !

But I searched this one out on Reverb the other day.

It has a DROP-IN RECTANGULAR bridge ! a ridiculously faked Jurassic dinosour...(do not mean the whole guitar, just the replacement bridge)

Archived