Gibson Brands Forums

The "Just got in from a gig" thread.....

saturn

Just home after three hours on the deck at a beach bar. These gigs are easy and fun. You have to keep it pretty chill in the first set - stick to mellow stuff. But by the end you can crank it up a bit. Used a '68 Fender Princeton that always sits perfectly with the other guys acoustic. That combo makes me happy.

Just home after three hours on the deck at a beach bar. These gigs are easy and fun. You have to keep it pretty chill in the first set - stick to mellow stuff. But by the end you can crank it up a bit. Used a '68 Fender Princeton that always sits perfectly with the other guys acoustic. That combo makes me happy.

Yeah. I'm kinda digging these acoustic gigs more and more. Just me and one other guy to split pay, simple PA setup and laid back music. [thumbup]

Yeah. I'm kinda digging these acoustic gigs more and more. Just me and one other guy to split pay, simple PA setup and laid back music. [thumbup]

No doubt. We've even started using one big ol condenser mic - bluegrass style. Talk about simple. We have three voices and we just harmonize around the one mic. And everyone can hear each other. Simple is best sometimes. [thumbup]

Great night. One of them nights that is the reason we do this. Great crowd, three guys sweating their brains out which didn't take long. I coulda kept playin. No voice left, but I could have played til dawn!

I know how much you look forward to my dazzling photographic abilities, so here you go:

CAM00205.jpg

CAM00206.jpg

rct

Just got in from a night at a little bar in Dundalk (East Baltimore). It was a "meh" night. We only brought out a few people and then there were some locals. We ended up taking a little less pay cause I now they didn't make much $. The crowd that was there liked us, as well as the staff who said we are their favorite band that plays there, for what that's worth. I didn't think to photo out set list, like rct. ( great song selection BTW)

Came home and poured some Dewar's to unwind, and gonna hit the bed soon. Good night all. B)

Tonight in Salisbury again; it went ok but the pub wasn't near full, though no-one left for most of our 2 sets.

Harmonica player had trouble with one of his harps; some harps these days have stainless steel reeds and they break.

Surprisingly our front man did NOT break any strings.

Everyone was very complimentary.

Best wishes to all, have a good weekend....

Got in about 1.5 hours ago from another acoustic show. Been hanging with some neighbors since I've been home, and the singer is sleeping on my couch as I type. Was a pretty good night I'd say. [cool]

• Upvote 1

Well here I am again. This time just back from a full band gig. Nice place and great crowd tonight. And this was only a 9-12 show. Pretty nice only doing 3 hours instead of 4 and getting home at a little more decent time.

I think I'll just go to bed without even pouring myself some scotch or bourbon since I just yawned and gleeked all on the laptop. #-o[blush]

Man.

When I get home from a gig, there ensues about an hour and a half of putting the gear away, followed by an hour or two of drinking good beers or better whiskey.

If I try to go to bed too soon, I'm wide awake and buzzing all night.

:blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Well that was a good one!

Ok, so I put an acoustic patch on the damn GT-100 and warbled my way through Melissa because, well, I had to. But a great night all around. Drummer on fire both drummering and singing. Great night for dynamics, not a huge crowd at this joint, so we had to keep it down, and we did. Well. Good night, the reason we do this. Lost about 8 pounds, it was hot.

The usual photographic mastery:

Crossroads%20sign.jpg

setlist1.jpg

rct

Long night. Just got in about 0230. Poured a little Sagamore Rye and logged on....

We played pretty well even though our female singer's voice was horse. Crowd was decent but by the 3rd set hardly anyone was left. So we figured we had nothing to lose and did and impromptu "Whipping Post". Three of us used to play that one in our old band, but last time we did it was probably 2010. Problem tonight was our drummer has never played it and he was having a hellava time. Literally. [biggrin]

I had a good view of the big TV and got to watch the O's beat the stinky Sox while I played. [tongue]

Guess I'll finish this Sagamore and go to bed soon. I hear birds chirping already.

Well that was a hoot. Nice place, they liked us, lots of dancing, kept the crowd until midnight. I used the stracaster for 1 & 2, Esquire for the other two sets. All in all, not bad.

Setlist:

setlist.jpg

And a couple great action shots of my rig!

rig.jpg

rig%202.jpg

Good night Mays Landing!

rct

• Upvote 2

Looks great. And you didn't have far to go for a beer. B) I see you put all the sets on one sheet. I have a separate sheet for each set. :rolleyes:

I probably would have been making my own post late tonight, but the venue we were booked at was suddenly and mysteriously shut down yesterday. :-k

Looks great. And you didn't have far to go for a beer. B) I see you put all the sets on one sheet. I have a separate sheet for each set. :rolleyes:

I probably would have been making my own post late tonight, but the venue we were booked at was suddenly and mysteriously shut down yesterday. :-k

Oh dear. That's never good, sorry to hear that.

rct

Just got in from one of the most hot, humid, muggy gigs I ever played. Almost had to swim though the air! Great crowd though, and the staff loves us there. We had a guest guitarist sitting in tonight which made things a little cramped, but it was cool having him join us.

Taking a page from RCT's book, I'll post our rigs and Set Lists. :rolleyes:

Alibis%20rigs_zpsuzif40f0.jpg

Alibis%20Sets_zpsdnubez2t.jpg

It's ALL impressive, saturn, but Set 3, Song 12? 'Pretzel Logic'???

msp_thumbup.gif

eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

Pip.

How about Song 8, Don't Take Me Alive? B)

Of course anythings better than playing "I Will Survive" or "Like A Virgin"! That's what you get when your main singer is female. :rolleyes:

I've made my living playing gigs for decades. I have no trouble getting to sleep after the gig now. My wind down is tearing down the gear and packing it into the van and then back in the house when I get home.

So my after gig story is like most of the night-time gigs "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

I do daytime gigs too, but I just go about my normal life after I put the gear back in the house.

On the gig I am transported to that spot where there is no space and time, and I'm in my bliss, but when it's over, it's back to normal (or at least what 'normal' is to my life) :)

But I did enjoy reading many of the posts.

• Upvote 1