Gibson Brands Forums

The "Just got in from a gig" thread.....

saturn

Our Saturday in the park was one very long hot day.

I was driving to load-in at 05:45 am, setting up and sound-checking in the first few hours of the morning, running sound and pre-recorded music for the introductory events and the local Army brass band until 11:00, and then we played solid sets (with a few short breaks) from 11:20 am until 2:20 pm.

And then, of course, hard hours of breaking-down, loading the rental truck, and then delivering gear to various band members, and then turning in the big truck.

5,000 or more in attendance, so it was worth all the effort.

We got a few people asking us (on breaks) about details for hiring the band for future events, so it was pretty nice in that regard.

:huh:

121616.jpg

Looks great guys - John (M): stage looks small but I guess its all comparative, a dressing room that's awesome!, Jay : looks like a cool setup with everything mic'd and some sweet guitars waiting, John (S): man, that looks so 'all-American' to a foreigner like me I just love it! (I assume the band voted that you should not wear short pants). Great stuff guys - Rock on! [thumbup]

Of course Mike Bloomfield was the worst sufferer. He couldnt sleep at all while working, and needed hospitalisation to induce sleep.

I met Bloomfield a couple times - he couldn't sleep because he was strung out on speed. Great player, but couldn't stay away from the uppers. The blues came out on the way down. [thumbdn]

I probably would have been making my own post late tonight, but the venue we were booked at was suddenly and mysteriously shut down yesterday. :-k

Oh dear. That's never good, sorry to hear that.

rct

Well, one good thing. Their marquee, with our bands name, hasn't been changed since the Friday before our band was scheduled to play. So we've been getting free advertising along a very busy Rt 40 for going-on two weeks now. [thumbup]

Multi-band bill, no sound check to speak of and not without its issues (like no one being able to hear anyone else well on stage - though the front of house apparently rocked!) . Great things were having a best mate of 30 years play drums for his first ever gig, a good mate on bass rockin out, and having my 17 yo nephew play lead guitar with us,... and to sing and play on songs I wrote in front of my own teenage kids [biggrin] ...priceless.

Don't know if we'll get to play again, but for now...job done!

image_zps7d2sq4ll.jpeg

Multi-band bill, no sound check to speak of and not without its issues (like no one being able to hear anyone else well on stage - though the front of house apparently rocked!) . Great things were having a best mate of 30 years play drums for his first ever gig, a good mate on bass rockin out, and having my 17 yo nephew play lead guitar with us,... and to sing and play on songs I wrote in front of my own teenage kids [biggrin] ...priceless.

Don't know if we'll get to play again, but for now...job done!

Good deal. Nobody got hurt, so they'll call you back, don't worry!

rct

Just got in on Saturday night after an entire day gig, but just not able to sit down and write.

Awful. 90 degrees, 80 something percent humidity. Super hot black roof over the usual collapsible metal stage. Nice breeze all day but just not enough. We slogged through it, me and bass both losing steam after second set, and when you lose steam it's the singing that goes first. We made it. Having serious doubts about doing this one next year, but even the people selling things in their booths and stuff and the people working the event were doubting the wisdom of doing this again.

No setlist, I completely forgot to get one. Here's an action shot, I used both guitars all day.

19420342_898234570324257_1693080357716305449_n.jpg?oh=3d636cdcb6a9fe0e288856a3321ea75f&oe=59CD943C

rct

1498615406[/url]' post='1864894']

Just got in on Saturday night after an entire day gig, but just not able to sit down and write.

Awful. 90 degrees, 80 something percent humidity. Super hot black roof over the usual collapsible metal stage. Nice breeze all day but just not enough. We slogged through it, me and bass both losing steam after second set, and when you lose steam it's the singing that goes first. We made it. Having serious doubts about doing this one next year, but even the people selling things in their booths and stuff and the people working the event were doubting the wisdom of doing this again.

No setlist, I completely forgot to get one. Here's an action shot, I used both guitars all day.

19420342_898234570324257_1693080357716305449_n.jpg?oh=3d636cdcb6a9fe0e288856a3321ea75f&oe=59CD943C

rct

Is that you on the left with the Gold Top RC? By the way, I love your song list.

Is that you on the left with the Gold Top RC? By the way, I love your song list.

That would be me with a Trans Amber Les Paul. Thanks for the set list love, we can't believe how many people can't believe we do that stuff. It's weird, it's the most natural thing in the world for us, but apparently not that many are doing that stuff anymore.

rct

rct

'Like us on Facebook' is the 21st Century version of 'throw money!' [laugh]

Good job mate - it's the 'gig from hell' stories that make for the most fun over a beer years later hey.

(that and the 'Bass player wore short pants and white tennis socks' stories)

01.49 a.m.

Just back from gig about 40 miles away. First time we have seen each other since the last gig a month ago (see my previous post in this thread) and we had a dep drummer; technically better and a busier player than our regular drummer and it was interesting to hear how he approached it, he had a good groove once he knew what was going on.

Some pretty shaky starts and endings tonight but we got away with it. I got a good sound and the pedals were at the right level.

So the gig was good but the drive there less so....a couple of unsettling moments where other drivers took un-necessary risks....so common I shouldn't mention it, but it's very dangerous....these days I stick to the speed limits - there for a reason - and my max speed anywhere is 60mph.

I'll have to post a set list sometime after sorting out the Photobucket business.

Best wishes to all.

• 2 weeks later...

oy.

Fourth night in two months at this place. 4th night it friggin rains just when I head there. Noah Rain. Dammit. So we're supposed to be out on the deck tonight but the lightning just isn't going to work for us. This decision is made halfway through set up at about 6.30. We're on at 7. Tear it down and move it across the club to where there are 8 tables we have to get out of the way, and set it up again.

So we get on about 7.30. Meh-ish for the first set. We hit it in the second and the rest of the night. Not bad overall.

I know my pictures are highly anticipated, so here's setlist:

setlist_714.jpg

And the rig:

rig_714.jpg

I used the Tele all night.

Tomorrow night we get to do it all again at the tile floor/glass cooler doors surround sound Ice Pick Treble Bar & Grille!

rct

I'm late to the party. 3am here and just getting in. And that's with a bar 10 minutes from my home. Gig went until 1:45. Poor keyboard player had about 1.5 hour drive!

Got off to a negative start as we were loading in, some dude was going crazy in the bar smashing bottles and sh!t and had to be physically thrown out. Bad weather all around us, but somehow our area was spared the storms like RCT got. Humidity like a wet blanket though. Gig went OK. Not great, but not bad. Just OK. I got no photos.

Gonna finish this glass of Irish whiskey and get to bed now. B)

• Upvote 1

Two words:

On. Fire.

Outstanding night, on from Feelin Alright to the end. One of them nights I'd still be playing if I could.

Setlist:

setlist_715.jpg

Action shots of The Rig:

rig_1_715.jpg

rig_2_715.jpg

Used both all night. Great fun night of guitar playing and singing.

rct

Back from another acoustic job at Crabtowne. We played a very loose set and pulled a bunch of stuff out of our A$$es. We used a really simple set-up with just 2 acoustic guitars, 2 mics and 1 Kustom PA speaker. It worked great.

Other than the people who were just there to chow down on seafood, my wife and some of our friends made for a pretty lively crowd. We hung around after breaking down until closing time. I'd say it was a good night. B)

People lose their schit when we do Day Of The Eagle. We do Too Rolling Stoned, but not in a while, we'll have to dig that one up.

rct

yep, we have / do Day of the Eagle (but not in awhile) ... & Too rolling stoned as well. a lot of fun to play. I keep threatening to do Bridge of Sighs . lol.

yep, we have / do Day of the Eagle (but not in awhile) ... & Too rolling stoned as well. a lot of fun to play. I keep threatening to do Bridge of Sighs . lol.

This has turned into the "Trower" thread. [biggrin]

Our band uses an Ipod or Ipad???? to play music through the PA in between sets. There's a Trower song, that when we hear it playing, we know it's time to make our way back to the stage for the next set. I don't know the title, but it's none of the ones mentioned above. I think it's something relatively recent from him. :-k

Edit: The song is "Daydream" and is from 1975! [blush]

ha! me too, !! That album was f'ing epic.

sounds as good today as it did on the first listen, I was much younger then..........

Another trip to Salisbury this evening. Wiltshire!

And I'm going again next Friday too.....

Tonight - band played well, sound all good, but 'twas a small pub which was almost empty.

It's a great hobby.

The set list: (the name column is who intros/counts it in)

P1040153.jpg

Whew.

Like I said...I went back again tonight. Different venue.

A bit gruelling this evening though.

Drove 46 miles to gig in the pissing rain.

Found parking space 100+yds from venue (hard to park anywhere in Salisbury tonight) and hump the gear in.

Meet our drummer walking up the road, he had to unload then park 1/4 mile away.

It's HOT already and I'm sweating as we set up.

1st set starts ok with the pub near-full but most of the crowd gradually leaves.

We didn't have time for a soundcheck (there's no room anyway) and the sound isn't right. Harmonica player is feeding back (he has many gain stages).

By the end of the set the pub is almost empty and...we're losing this one.

Because we're all fed up the 2nd set starts aggressively and the sound is a bit louder - and better.

More people come in and suddenly it's ok again as they're clapping and dancing. They want encores, we oblige.

Finish, tear it all down and I get out at 12.06 for another 46 miles home in the dark; still raining all the way.

Ah, July in England.

Goodnight and best wishes to all......

• Upvote 1