Gibson Brands Forums

The "Just got in from a gig" thread.....

saturn

Played a strange acoustic gig tonight and just got home. We were filling in for a friend of mine at a place we've never played before. Most of the crowd was talking to each other or watching Os get shut-out on TV. But as soon as we took a break or when we were breaking down, someone would approach us and say how much they liked us. eusa_think.gif Anyway, we got a few more bookings out of it.

Gonna have a little rye now and relax for the rest of the night. Have another big gig tomorrow night. smile.gif

Got in late after Saturday's airline reunion gig, and had to be up early today to play one set at the Reisterstown Festival with a different band. It was a beautiful day today, and we were introduced by local radio legend Chris Emry. The sound check went great and everything looked promising. Then when we played and our stage sound was all messed up and we made about a thousand mistakes. msp_cursing.gif But no one seemed to noticed other than us. I would have posted earlier but after the gig we all went back to one of the guys house to watch the Ravens game and hang out. Again, I'm sure there were a lot of good pics taken, but I only have a few of our stage and the ever popular set list.

P.S. notice how our keyboard played drops a bunch of the Keys down, and it always screws up my guitar playing! msp_cursing.gifrolleyes.gif

k6odgb3.jpg

4SgzMqa.jpg

kjxyODq.jpg

3AM and just getting home. Played the same place we did last month with same results. Great gig but not much crowd. I think most of Pasadena was down near Karloff's area for Bike Week in Ocean City.

Today was our keyboard player's Birthday. I brought a bottle of Scotch, cause that's what he likes. Have a little left. Gonna finish off this bottle and hit the bed. Playing a private party Saturday ( today) with my other band.

Played again tonight in Salisbury (UK).

Have now played in 7 separate pubs round that city, booked back in 2 of them next month.

Gig went ok but there are always mistakes, because we just don't play enough to know the tunes backwards.

Will spend nearly all the gig money on petrol...... [sad]

Best wishes to all.

• Upvote 1

Have now played in 7 separate pubs round that city, booked back in 2 of them next month.

Gig went ok but there are always mistakes, because we just don't play enough to know the tunes backwards.

Best wishes to all.

Still cool to do it.. If we did it just for the money none of us would ever play anywhere..

Years ago when I was in a band I do remember once doing a gig and just about getting enough money for a Maccy Ds each on the way home :)

• Upvote 1

No sad. It's how it is. None of us is doing this to get rich.

Rock on Brutha. Alla yas.

rct

• Upvote 1

If we did it just for the money none of us would ever play anywhere..

Too right!

No sad. It's how it is. None of us is doing this to get rich.

Rock on Brutha. Alla yas.

rct

Thankyou and spot on as usual.

I hear ya! My band mates and most of my gigs are two hours away.

I shouldn't moan then, my band mates are 30 miles...but petrol is £1.20 a litre over here.

My next gig I am playing in Southampton for free; Oct 7th there is Music In The City with 150 bands or something and we're on at 4.20 for 50 minutes. The matinee.... [biggrin]

No money at all for that but if you're a band in or round the area it's a must.

I've done - we've all done - those "may get you some exposure" gigs for free.

Never got me anywhere yet but you just never know......

Our 50 minutes includes setup and take down so we'll probably end up playing for 25 min.

Played a benefit tonight at one of our favorite places, Crabtowne. They asked us about a month ago if we would consider donating our time and providing music and PA at a fund raising event to benefit an employee there who has cancer. We couldn't say no. The place is not only literally a family owned business, but all the employees there are like family to one another and many of the regular customers too. They've always been very good to us when we go there for lunch or play acoustic music at least one Thursday a month.

There was food, the bar sold drinks at Happy Hour prices, and there were raffles. Plus the arcade/pinball room was open. All proceeds, including bar tenders and servers tips, went to the young lady Suzie who is fighting cancer. We were honored to be asked to play. It was a great night and over $4000 was raised to help her with her medical expenses.

I got some photos, but unfortunately very few turned out good enough to post. Here's one from across the room, and one closer up. Man I need a haircut. msp_blushing.gif

jrhEDrq.jpg

60XJ7py.jpg

was called back to the restaurant I played at the end of the month in August. It was another good turn out, where a lot of people came to have dinner on the out door patio, and decided they would stay and listen.

Despite the calendar showing only a few days till the start of October, the weather in central Massachusetts this week has been more like a mid July heat wave. Setup was pretty brutal, and by 7:00 (start time) it had not relented. At one point during the first sweat was just pouring into my eyes. It cooled off a bit by second set, thankfully.

Wrapped it up at 10:00, had the car loaded up within a few minutes and was able to have a drink and relax with the Wife and my Brother inlaw who came out for support. One of the evening high points was when one of our friends got up and sat in with me, she has a wicked voice, and I remembered just enough of Bobby McGee to make it sound like we had played together for years. She killed it. the place loved it.

I like working here, the Manager is a straight up guy, very easy going.. I had bit too much volume at the outset but that was pretty quickly addressed. Hard to know when you're standing behind the PA.

Lots of good feedback, the music I've been doing seems to be hitting the spot with a diverse crowd. The owner was there last night, and mentioned to Jaret (mgr) to make sure I was on board in the winter rotation (inside lounge.) Trying to get one or two more, but taking my time with this, still feeling my way through. but, yea this acoustic solo stuff is working out better than I imagined.

• Upvote 2

Did our fall gig on the clubhouse patio where we live. Perfect evening, about 72 degrees out. These are fun gigs, only play from 6:00 to 8:00 PM (2 sets). They always have a buffet, usually make your own tacos, but this time upgraded to a baked spaghetti/salad/garlic bread/ and cake for dessert.

We had a great crowd, there is a covered veranda that seats about 60-70 at tables, and then there is more space that is uncovered. We got about 120 or so out which is the biggest turnout they've had so we should get invited back. Mostly retirees live in this community so we play more oldies that we might otherwise.

Used my 2017 LP Standard and it was great. Before the second set I checked the tuning, and it needed no adjustment even after bashing it pretty good on the last two songs of the first set. Perfect weather contributed to that.

Set list:

CUScRbl.jpg

Eerie thing - first time we had played "You Wreck Me" and "End of The Line" (which Petty sang on with the Willbury's) and it was the day he was hospitalized. Rumor at the time was that he had died, which turned out to be false, but I guess he passed the next day on Tuesday.

Promo Poster:

EZYVflm.jpg

Finished about 8:05, tore down by 9:00 and home by about 9:15. That's probably it until Spring for us. But the best part was a bass player that just moved into the community showed up and we got to talking so we are going to audition him in a couple weeks and if it works out the current bass player will move to guitar and we will be able to expand material with double leads and rhythm/lead guitar. Hope that works out.

• 3 weeks later...

Another trip to Salisbury tonight, for another gig in a near-empty pub. I've done empty so many times now I don't get depressed - just play.

The people who stayed to listen all came up and complemented us at the end.

We had a dep harmonica player; once he knew what key the song was in he was ok.

I had an earplug in my left ear, which was the side the drummer was on. Worth it but made it much more difficult to gauge volume of course.

Pedals always need a tiny tweak, we don't get a soundcheck. Some of the endings were untogether.

And - bandleader put his Ibanez J Scofield on the guitar stand at the break then walked past it and knocked it off.

I saw it going but couldn't get there in time. It came down on the G string machine head and snapped the button off - screw sheared.

Pissed him off, would have pissed me right off too. His own fault though.

I don't like guitar stands and usually lean my guitar(s) up against the amp, a wall, corner or anywhere well out of the way where people won't be walking/stumbling past.

Not sure if he will be able to buy a single machine head as replacement - anybody in UK know?

Probably not in time for next Friday's gig which is again in the same city.

Quick moan - while bandleader was setting up p.a. and strewing cables all over the place, I unpacked and tuned his guitars.

But they're his guitars.....he has to fiddle and re-tune them using his tuner, even if (as they were) perfectly in tune.....so he puts them out of tune again! ](*,) ](*,)

2.30 a.m. Best wishes to all!

Too tired to post last night because I had a 2+ hour drive home. Anyway it was one of those small town street festival things where people just walk around and eat and drink and listen to bands. Some folks brought chairs and hung out. Overall pretty lightly attended, but we handed out 2 hours of classic rock nonetheless.

Set list and a kinda cool foto shot from the drummers perspective...

wt2M14Ul.jpg

1V4XUurl.png

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

just got home. played "LIVE AT BO'S" in Longneck, De. decent little place. always a good crowd.

some of the tunes :

CHEAP SUNGLASSES

COME TOGETHER

SAME OL SONG AND DANCE

BLACK FRIDAY

PRETZEL LOGIC

UP ON CRIPPLE CREEK

THE WEIGHT

I SHOT THE SHERIFF

LOW SPARK OF HIGH HEELED BOYS

WISH YOU WERE HERE

ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL 1 - 3

WEREWOLVES OF LONDON

Looks like we'll be back Saturday night.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, this was buried 4 pages back. I know some of you guys had gigs...

Anyway back home from three sets... nice crowd, good beer, set list below. I forgot to take a pic of my setup, but it's the first time I used two Champs in stereo for this gig. Perfect set up for this room. I put a mic on just one of them for the house. but the two on stage made for some nice swirly stereo textures with phasing and Leslie pedals engaged. Fun set up to play.

sEd2suNl.png

We had a pretty good night. New drummer was great! We have been with a guy that plays the drums for the last almost two years, now we have an actual drummer. Good crowd lots of jiggling on the dance floor. Played well, sang well, both of us tuckered out early though, so a little tough towards the end. I took a dozen pictures with my TracFone. All of them were just awful.

rct

Jeez. It's been a little while since I checked in here, and I had to search for this thread. rolleyes.gif

Just got in from playing a bar in this skeezy a$$ area of South Baltimore. Myself, the bass player and keyboards player all played here in our old band back in 2009. not much has changed. Just loading in, had to deal with various whack jobs and opioid addicts. Can't leave anything unattended or it will be stolen in seconds.

Bar is a dive, but nice little crowd, and the regulars and staff are actually really cool. Overall, the night was a lot better than I expected. We were scheduled until 1am, but the crowd that was still there kept asking us to play a little more, so we played a few songs until about 1:15.

No photos or set list, but it was our usual set with "Please come Home For Christmas" thrown in and some other weird version of "Winter Wonderland" set to the music of "Misty Mountain Hop". msp_blink.gif

• Upvote 1