Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EJ-160E Ltd. Ed. wrong scale compensation

Batyrlan

Hi there!

On autumn I've got new VS Epiphone EJ-160E Ltd. Ed. from MusicStore. My guitar is 2016 year model, MiI (factory #23).

After unpacking I noticed that bridge saddle has a small compensation angle. After checking scale length I noticed that there is not enough scale length for low E (approx 2 or 3 mm). On lower E scale length should be 636 mm (for 24.75" scale length), but my guitar has only 631.5 mm, therefore my guitar is intonate sharper on low E (especially on high frets).

So I paid 370 EURs for useless piece of crap... Guys, don't buy this bullsh*t! AJ-220S was much more better!

PS: my apologizes for my English (it's not my native language).

On lower E scale length should be 636 mm (for 24.75" scale length), but my guitar has only 631.5 mm, therefore my guitar is intonate sharper on low E (especially on high frets).

Well, first of all, you should get your unit conversion correct. 24.75 inches = 628.65 mm, NOT 636 mm. Measure twice, post once.

1. Scale length is best measured from the center of the 12th to the bridge, center of the 12th to the nut, and adding the two together. The numbers we use to refer to "scale length" are strong suggestions, not exact.

2. Did you notice the intonation was out before or after you measured? Is the intonation out?

rct

Put a new set of strings on it. Tune it with an accurate electronic tuner (like a Peterson StroboClip Clip-On Strobe Tuner). If it is off when fretted at the 12th fret (and on when checked open) you have three choices:

1. As others have said, send it back.

2. Do nothing and live with it.

3. Take it to a GOOD luthier who will fill and re-cut the saddle slot and replace the saddle. Then enjoy it for years to come.

In 1972 I bought a new Martin D-18 for $425. That's $2450 in 2016 dollars. And it had to be sent back to Martin 3 times to be fixed. Intonation and string height. Out of frustration I sold it as they never got it quite right.

Your guitar sells for under $500. Personally I'd have a luthier fix it so that it plays the way you want it to.

Good luck!

Put a new set of strings on it. Tune it with an accurate electronic tuner (like a Peterson StroboClip Clip-On Strobe Tuner). If it is off when fretted at the 12th fret (and on when checked open) you have three choices:

1. As others have said, send it back.

2. Do nothing and live with it.

3. Take it to a GOOD luthier who will fill and re-cut the saddle slot and replace the saddle. Then enjoy it for years to come.

In 1972 I bought a new Martin D-18 for $425. That's $2450 in 2016 dollars. And it had to be sent back to Martin 3 times to be fixed. Intonation and string height. Out of frustration I sold it as they never got it quite right.

Your guitar sells for under $500. Personally I'd have a luthier fix it so that it plays the way you want it to.

Good luck!

Hi, Aoresteen!

I will follow to your third advice! :-)

2. Did you notice the intonation was out before or after you measured? Is the intonation out?

rct

Hi, rct!

I'd thought about possible bad intonation after first glance to bridge. Before I had some guitar with same defect (small compensation angle) and that guitar had problems with intonation. After unpacking and strings tuning I started to play on hight frets on lower strings ("Blackbird" of The Beatles) and noticed bad intonation (G note on 10th fret of lower A is sharper than open third string). Then I measured scale length and noticed that scale length of lower E string just only 2-3 mm above than higher E tring (should be 5-6 mm).

Hi, rct!

I'd thought about possible bad intonation after first glance to bridge. Before I had some guitar with same defect (small compensation angle) and that guitar had problems with intonation. After unpacking and strings tuning I started to play on hight frets on lower strings ("Blackbird" of The Beatles) and noticed bad intonation (G note on 10th fret of lower A is sharper than open third string). Then I measured scale length and noticed that scale length of lower E string just only 2-3 mm above than higher E tring (should be 5-6 mm).

Does your tuner tell you it is badly intonated, and by how much at say, 12th and 15th frets? I'm sorry buddy, but measuring the scale length doesn't mean anything right now. There are steps taken to intonate a guitar, so let's get through them first.

rct

• 4 weeks later...

Archived