Gibson Brands Forums

Is it a Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst or what?

GFH89

Hi,

Sorry, my english isn't perfect.

I want to know this guitar is a real Gibson or not. I bought it on ebay. According to guitardaterproject it is from 1999. It is look like and file like an original but the logo on the headstock weird to me. I had a SG Standard 2006 Ebony and the logo was not look like this. But original tuning machines, electronics and pickups. Only the headstock logo weird to me and the bridge is a Gotoh Japan 103B.

https://postimg.org/gallery/r8wipie0/

So what do you think?

Hello GFH and welcome to this nice place in the web. [thumbup]

Congrats on your nice catch - looks good from here! [love]

Guitardaterproject is not always reliable but right in this case. She looks like a real Gibson SG Standard in Natural Burst.

The pickups are probably 490R in the neck and either 490T or 498T in the bridge position. The 490T would read circa 8...9 kOhms DC, the 498T around 13...14 kOhms.

To my guess she came with a Nashville Tune-O-Matic stock and has been retrofitted with a Gotoh ABR-1 remake using woodplugs.

The dark marks in and around the nut grooves likely are nut lubricant.

The bubbles around the logo and crown inlay do appear on some Gibsons with time. It can be repaired by a skilled luthier, but this may set you back about 100$ or 100€, and you would have to do without the guitar for two or three weeks.

Anyway, string and set her up and have playing fun! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived