Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson product of the day

Searcy

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather stick with my Rickenbacker 360/12

Yea, When I think 12 string a Les Paul isn't the first guitar the pops into my head. I used to think I wanted a Ric 360/12 but I have never played one that agreed with my hands.

Yea, What I think 12 string a Les Paul isn't the first guitar the pops into my head. I used to think I wanted a Ric 360/12 but I have never played one that agreed with my hands.

If it's the narrow neck that you don't get along with, try the 660. It has a wider neck.

I wouldn't think of using HBs for a 12 string really, but I was just watching a video of a vintage Gibson semihollow 12 string and it sounded really nice (Norms rare guitars video)

This truly unique and beautiful guitar was originally commissioned by the Gibson Custom Shop in early 2002, not only as a way to introduce a completely different type of Les Paul (The "Les Paul Acoustic") but also to highlight the quality of workmanship The Custom Shop was capable of producing. This very guitar was the centerpiece at the Gibson booth of the 2002 NAMM show.

This was the "Showcase" Guitar for that gathering. 2002 was the 50th Anniversary of the "Les Paul" and working from conversations and many consultations between Les, and Mike McGuire (Senior Luthier and also head of the Custom Shop), the common complaint about the weight of the "standard Les Paul" was to be addressed. This guitar was the result.

The one piece mahogany body was hollowed out and chambered for acoustic tone (there are no sound holes in the guitar) and the carved, figured maple cap was fitted with an L.R. Baggs piezo pickup under the bridge. The Volume and Tone control thumbwheels are nestled in a polished, nickel plated receptacle on the top (low E) bout of the guitar. The 1/4" output jack is located on the bottom of the lower rear bout. A 9V battery powers the piezo pickup and lives in a pop-up box inside the back cavity.

The 2001 Gibson Custom Shop Catalog features "The Acoustic" on the cover. Inside, photos show that the guitar "is available in two finishes. Translucent Black and Tangerine burst". Also available was a wide ranging list of options: Your choice of a Rosewood or Ebony fretboard. "Ivorina" Binding (body, neck, and headstock) could also be purchased separately at extra cost. Then at even more cost was the option to purchase the guitar with an "Ultima" neck. These necks were one piece, and hand carved (not machine formed) by one master luthier who oversaw production of the guitar from start to finish. And, finally for the very few, a "Tree of Life" inlay, consisting of hundreds of pieces of mother of pearl and abalone.

qtNeN0SEwG0HFVdTfG4MbQ.jpg

Drop Dead Gorgeous! WANT! [drool]

SnowFalconV_Splash.jpg

Designed with Dethklok creator Brendon Small featuring Gibson® Burstbuckers™

Epiphone presents the new Ltd. Ed. Brendon Small "Snow Falcon" Outfit, the second signature guitar designed with Dethklok creator Brendon Small, featuring the historic Flying V profile in a one-of-a-kind Snow Burst finish plus Gibson® Burstbucker™ humbuckers with coil-splitting, KillPot™ switch, LockTone™ bridge, Stopbar™ tailpiece, and Grover® Rotomatics™ machine heads plus a Premium Custom Fitted Gigbag.

Brendon Small is the co-creator and comedic--and musical--imagination behind Dethklok, the virtual metal band featured in the hit animated program produced by Adult Swim, Metalocalypse. Now, Epiphone and Brendon have collaborated for their second signature model and one that is truly worthy of Dethklok, "the world's greatest cultural force" and its lead guitarist Skwisgaar Skwigelf, who has already declared the new “Snow Falcon” as “totally Metal times infinity.”

AR_Splash.jpg

Jeff Waters Annihilation-V Signature Model

Epiphone has a long history of supplying some of the greatest guitarists of all time with the instrument they need to excel. And that history continues with the new Annihilation-V made in cooperation with legendary guitarist Jeff Waters. Jeff ranked #3 in Joel Mclver's 2009 book The 100 Greatest Metal Guitarists, and his band Annihilator have been shredding audiences worldwide for years. Now, Jeff is ready to take it up a notch with what he describes as "The Ultimate Metal Guitar!"

And, like all Epiphones, the Jeff Waters Annihilation-V comes with our Limited Lifetime Warranty backed by world famous 24/7/365 Gibson Customer Service. The Jeff Waters Annihilation-V is available in either Annihilation Red (gloss) or Pitch Black (satin). Prepare to annihilate your audience with the new Jeff Waters Annihilation-V, The Ultimate Metal Guitar!

Epiphone Coronet

1958 to 1970

epiphone_green_9x15.jpg

The Gibson-made Epiphone Coronet guitar started out as an alternative to the Gibson Les Paul Junior. Something slightly different, but still a good basic single pickup solidbody guitar (for a very economical price). Initially, the 1958/1959 models had a rather thick 1 3/4" mahogany body, like it's sister Les Paul Junior, and a bit similar to a Telecaster body. But when the Les Paul Junior converted to the thinner SG LP Junior body style by late 1960, the Coronet also thinned down to 1 3/8" thick, and the edges got rounded. Fortunately the new thinner Coronet body is not as thin as a SG LP Junior (making the Coronet a better guitar in my opinion, and a heck of a lot cheaper in price than a SG LP Junior). With the thinner Coronet body, the pickup also changed to a Gibson P90, which dramatically improved the sound over the Epi New York pickup. Then in 1963 the Epiphone Coronet body changed again slightly, making the treble side cutaway "horn" shorter, and changing the peghead tuners to 6-on-a-side (a la Fender). These weren't bad things, but most people seem to like generaion 1 and 2 of the Coronet body better than the asymetrical gen3 body style. To me the big deal is the neck size, since in 1964 Epiphone neck thinned from the standard 1 11/16" nut width to a thinner 1 5/8" (I personally perfer the thicker 1 11/16" nut width). Note the Coronet is a less cousin to the fancier Epiphone Wilshire and Epiphone Crestwood.

2005 Gibson Traveling Songwriter EC

1320e2ef-6d40-496e-bd63-d67f8bd0aea2_zpsztevkwsh.jpg

Handcrafted in Bozeman, Montana, the Traveling Songwriter CE Acoustic-Electric Guitar has a unique, thin hollow body with a domed Sitka spruce top and the same scalloped bracing pattern as '30s-era Gibsons for ravishing acoustic tone. It is crafted with an ecologically-sound Smartwood mahogany neck, back, and sides with rosewood fretboard and bridge with 24-3/4" scale. The historic square-shoulder body and Moustache-like sculpted bridge give it an unmistakable Gibson look. Perfect for virtually any performing or songwriting situation, the rear soundhole provides the player with enhanced acoustic volume in quiet settings. Onstage, the Fishman Custom electronics offer precise control of your sound.

Yeah! or some Radio Birdman for that matter!!

Its actually an Epiphone Crestwood Deluxe - a pretty rare beast among 60's Epis

That was excellent! Never heard that before, thanks for the the post

The guitar center on the sunset strip usually has a bunch of Wilshires and Crestwoods which is where I first saw them. Never seen the Deluxe in the flesh though!

Archived