Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Thunderbird IV Vintage Sunburst - three last numbers of the serial number scratched

Guest Lucas

Dear all,

I have one Epiphone Thunderbird IV Vintage Sunburst bass with me and I noticed something very strange: there is a label with a serial number glued over the real Epiphone serial number.

In a metal plaque there is the incomplete Epiphone serial number DW07125---. The last three numbers are scratched.

Glued over that metal plaque there is a label with a serial number different from Epiphone pattern. It is 311465280.

I searched online about this strange situation and found the following explanation: according to different sellers from Ebay when an instrument has quality problems it is sent to be repaired. After the repair the company erases the three last numbers of the original serial number (by scratching them) and gives a new serial number to the instruments (the one in the label).

Is that explanation correct? I would really like to receive any kind of confirmation on the above explanation. Also, any other available details on this particular instrument will be very useful to me.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards from Brazil,

Lucas

Dear all,

I have one Epiphone Thunderbird IV Vintage Sunburst bass with me and I noticed something very strange: there is a label with a serial number glued over the real Epiphone serial number.

In a metal plaque there is the incomplete Epiphone serial number DW07125---. The last three numbers are scratched.

Glued over that metal plaque there is a label with a serial number different from Epiphone pattern. It is 311465280.

I searched online about this strange situation and found the following explanation: according to different sellers from Ebay when an instrument has quality problems it is sent to be repaired. After the repair the company erases the three last numbers of the original serial number (by scratching them) and gives a new serial number to the instruments (the one in the label).

Is that explanation correct? I would really like to receive any kind of confirmation on the above explanation. Also, any other available details on this particular instrument will be very useful to me.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards from Brazil,

Lucas

the explanation is correct. usually the ones with serial numbers starting with a 3 are refurbished by a company called M.I.R.C. in Tennessee

• 4 weeks later...

the explanation is correct. usually the ones with serial numbers starting with a 3 are refurbished by a company called M.I.R.C. in Tennessee

Great! Thanks for the confirmation! I'm more relieved now: the instrument, despite the fact of been refurbished in the past, sounds amazing and also looks like a new one.

Archived