Gibson Brands Forums

Nashville to Gibson ABR-1 Bridge Conversion

Revolution Six

Hi,

I want to install a Gibson ABR-1 bridge on my Gibson SG, I hate the big Nashville.

The Gibson SG is Trans Black finish, so I choose black inserts. My question is about the ABR-1 bridge , which one is the best ?

Gibson ABR-1, Faber ABRH , Philadelphia Luthier Tools ? Thank you for your help !

Frankly, if I was going to upgrade the bridge on a Gibson guitar I would go for the Callaham steel bridge,

If I was doing it simply for looks I would go for the Guitar Fetish bridge and save some money.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/XGP-USA-Gibson-fit-Nickel-Tuneomatic-Bridge-BRASS-Saddles-OUR-BEST_p_4229.html

they also have a chrome version

The only thing I noticed is that the saddles are not notched.

Personally, I just don't get it.

The ABR-1 bridge was invented in the 1950s when guitar strings came in one gauge: HEAVY.

Those bridges were installed on Gibson guitars and they were an upgrade from earlier bridges that

didn't have individual string adjustments for intonation. They were designed to work with the heavy

cables people strung their guitars with in those early years.

By the end of the '60s, guitarists had more string gauges available from manufacturers, and the

trend was to use lighter strings. This caused problems because the ABR-1 bridge was not made with

enough travel in the saddles to achieve proper intonation with light or very light strings.

So Gibson invented the "Harmonica" bridge, and guitarists were able to put the extra room in this

design to adjust their guitars properly in the '70s. But everyone said those were obtrusively too big,

and '70s Gibsons (and Fenders) had a poor reputation anyway...

So in the '80s when Henry J and his other partners bought the Company back from Norlin,

they set about designing the Nashville bridge, to serve the needs of guitarists, accommodate different

string gauges, and to replace the unpopular Harmonica bridge (which actually works quite well).

So the Nashville bridge is properly designed, and works well with many different string gauges

and gives no problems. IMHO, replacing the stock bridge with an ABR-1 is pointless. A new one

designed by a good company like Faber might actually have enough travel in the saddles to work

right, but I don't think there is any advantage over the stock part.

Replacing the Nashville bridge with one made by Tone Pros does have a point, because the set screws

in the TonePros design actually give better coupling than the standard Gibson Bridge. Also, the screws

hold your bridge on, and so it won't fall off and nick your finish when you're trying to change strings.

This is a desirable feature, and it MIGHT be worth the high cost of the new bridge.

I see quite a few posts from guitarists who believe that an ABR-1 bridge is somehow better than the

standard equipment Gibson bridge, so I'm obviously voicing a minority opinion. I own two Epiphones,

and have replaced both of their bridges right away. To me, that's a whole different question.

Personally, I just don't get it.

The ABR-1 bridge was invented in the 1950s when guitar strings came in one gauge: HEAVY.

Those bridges were installed on Gibson guitars and they were an upgrade from earlier bridges that

didn't have individual string adjustments for intonation. They were designed to work with the heavy

cables people strung their guitars with in those early years.

By the end of the '60s, guitarists had more string gauges available from manufacturers, and the

trend was to use lighter strings. This caused problems because the ABR-1 bridge was not made with

enough travel in the saddles to achieve proper intonation with light or very light strings.

So Gibson invented the "Harmonica" bridge, and guitarists were able to put the extra room in this

design to adjust their guitars properly in the '70s. But everyone said those were obtrusively too big,

and '70s Gibsons (and Fenders) had a poor reputation anyway...

So in the '80s when Henry J and his other partners bought the Company back from Norlin,

they set about designing the Nashville bridge, to serve the needs of guitarists, accommodate different

string gauges, and to replace the unpopular Harmonica bridge (which actually works quite well).

So the Nashville bridge is properly designed, and works well with many different string gauges

and gives no problems. IMHO, replacing the stock bridge with an ABR-1 is pointless. A new one

designed by a good company like Faber might actually have enough travel in the saddles to work

right, but I don't think there is any advantage over the stock part.

Replacing the Nashville bridge with one made by Tone Pros does have a point, because the set screws

in the TonePros design actually give better coupling than the standard Gibson Bridge. Also, the screws

hold your bridge on, and so it won't fall off and nick your finish when you're trying to change strings.

This is a desirable feature, and it MIGHT be worth the high cost of the new bridge.

I see quite a few posts from guitarists who believe that an ABR-1 bridge is somehow better than the

standard equipment Gibson bridge, so I'm obviously voicing a minority opinion. I own two Epiphones,

and have replaced both of their bridges right away. To me, that's a whole different question.

I've been around guitars since 1971. If your passionate writing were true, I'da have known at least two dozen guitar players with all kindsa intonation problems because of the bridge design. I didn't, and I don't. My experience completely obviates yours.

rct

... So in the '80s when Henry J and his other partners bought the Company back from Norlin, they set about designing the Nashville bridge, ...

No, this is far from accurate information. The "Nashville" bridge was introduced during the Norlin era, around '74/75.

Archived