Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Standard 24 Fret AMS LE

truetone6

I bought myself a Christmas present online at GC(haven't gotten it yet) It's an AMS exclusive version of the Gibson 50th Anniversary SG Standard 24 Fret.The body is '61 carve but it has a '65 pickguard a Firebird Mini HB in the neck and 57 classic in the bridge.The 2 volume knobs are push/pull coil taps. GC said it was in excellent condition and comes with OHSC. It was priced at $799. Know anything about this guitar?

index.png

sg3.png

sg2.png

sg1.png

SG4.png

Congrats, I really do not know much about it other than having seen it online. I think this SG came out around the same time the 50th anniversary SG came out, that's the one I have also 24 frets.

Originally this AMS LE SG came with the Iommi pickup on the bridge, you can actually see it here: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Standard-24.aspx

Recently I saw a demo of it and caught my attention that they said it had a 57 on the bridge.

I bought myself a Christmas present online at GC(haven't gotten it yet) It's an AMS exclusive version of the Gibson 50th Anniversary SG Standard 24 Fret.The body is '61 carve but it has a '65 pickguard a Firebird Mini HB in the neck and 57 classic in the bridge.The 2 volume knobs are push/pull coil taps. GC said it was in excellent condition and comes with OHSC. It was priced at $799. Know anything about this guitar?

Great deal for a great SG

I have one of the originals which was made from surplus 50th anniversary bodies, under my pickguard are all the holes predrilled to put on the pickup rings and little pickguard, which I tried but I like her much better with the full pickguard, very unique, mine also came with an Iommi in the bridge and she is black.

21dlz5k.jpg

Great deal for a great SG

I have one of the originals which was made from surplus 50th anniversary bodies, under my pickguard are all the holes predrilled to put on the pickup rings and little pickguard, which I tried but I like her much better with the full pickguard, very unique, mine also came with an Iommi in the bridge and she is black.

Wow thanks! Do you have a photo of your guitar that you can post?

I found some other weird things about this guitar. One is the serial number. It starts with 11 instead of 14.

Maybe that is because it was made from body and neck leftover from the original 2011 run of SG 24 Frets?

018-001.jpg

017-001.jpg

also,there is an extra pickup in the case compartment. It has a smooth cover like the Tony Iommi

but the sticker on the back says "57 Classic"

001.jpg

002_1.jpg

Yes, this SG model came with the Iommi pickup originally.

That's the most expensive Gibson pickup,

At some point it looks like to keep the look of the "no holes" cover they made a classic 57, put slugs where the adjustable pole pieces would be and that's it.

Yes, this SG model came with the Iommi pickup originally.

That's the most expensive Gibson pickup,

At some point it looks like to keep the look of the "no holes" cover they made a classic 57, put slugs where the adjustable pole pieces would be and that's it.

Yes,I think you are right. I did read some posts on another forum by a member who had ordered one from AMS in 2015. Before he received it he called Gibson to ask if the guitar came with a Tony Iommi or 57 Classic pickup in the bridge. The Gibson Customer Service agent he spoke with told him: If the pickup has a smooth cover it is a Tony Iommi and if it has screws in the cover it is a 57 classic. That is why I thought the bridge pickup on my guitar was the original pickup(until I found the 57 in the case compartment).

The original models where advertised with an Iommi in the bridge but they shipped with a smooth covered 57 like the one in your case, they didn't have a sticker. I fought with Gibson to get mine replaced with an Iommi. The Iommi pickup has an extra magnet on the back between the pole pieces and it's all covered in dark expoxy, plus the DC resistance is very high like 14K, also the legs are very short as to not allow the PU height to be adjusted too close to the strings, puts too much magnetic force on the strings and will sour the notes. Later models where advertised with the smooth covered 57 bridge PU.

What Pickup is now in the bridge ?

The original models where advertised with an Iommi in the bridge but they shipped with a smooth covered 57 like the one in your case, they didn't have a sticker. I fought with Gibson to get mine replaced with an Iommi. The Iommi pickup has an extra magnet on the back between the pole pieces and it's all covered in dark expoxy, plus the DC resistance is very high like 14K, also the legs are very short as to not allow the PU height to be adjusted too close to the strings, puts too much magnetic force on the strings and will sour the notes. Later models where advertised with the smooth covered 57 bridge PU.

What Pickup is now in the bridge ?

Thanks for the info. I haven't checked what the pickup is on mine yet,have to wait until it needs a string change.Did Gibson replace your pickup with a Tony Iommi ?. I just read a post on another forum written by a member who owned a 2011 Gibson SG Standard 24 Fret. He had posted this photo of his guitar. It has the same pickup as the one I found in my case but with out stickers just like you said.

GEDC0134.jpg

Not a Tony Iommi pickup. Did Gibson ever really put these pickups into any of the 2011 SG Standard 24 Frets?

100_0478.jpg

Archived