Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Style O 1903/04 value

Frances50

Hey guys: Not sure how many luthiers are here on the forum but I'm trying to get some information regarding the cost to fully restore a Gibson 1903/04 Style O guitar that needs extensive work. My main concern is the cost to purchase this guitar versus the cost to have it restored. I know these are rare but I think the initial cost of the guitar is a bit high. Has anyone else faced this issue when trying to decide to purchase?

I have two antique instruments but both were in restored condition when I purchased them and I considered them both good values.

Thanks

Frances

I can't afford to buy vintage in anything BUT 'fixer upper' shape, and certainly my advantage in having very affordable repair and restoration access works to my benefit, but having a guitar that's so old it would be in a museum and not necessarily valuable as a player would create a different paradigm. I think that only by bringing the restorer/luthier to the project before buying would be the best way to get a fix on the cost/value equation as it relates to your expectations. So-called 'extensive' restoration of a historical instrument will always devalue it significantly. I'd try and find a way to get photos to your restorer and get his/her estimate.

Prices on old high end brand guitars are pretty flat these days, so recouping/re-sale value versus joy of ownership is the bottom line.

Yep. Not to mention the joy of playing the thing! My thought is that not all extensive restorations are created equal - some are more extensive than others. An opportunity to own and play a vintage guitar shouldn't necessarily be ignored just because getting it playable makes it less valuable than a pristine model of the same. My heart lies with what they can do and how they sound rather than potential down the road resale value.

Post a picture... a old style 0 no more than a grand.. if its a paddle headstock with the moon and crest. it would be worth putting a couple grand into.. but it will be yours forever.. thats about the going rate on those..

anything needing to much is not a collectable piece unless it super rare. the 0s are not..

Well, if that offer is on paper or could be corroborated at Gruhn's, you'd have your approx. value in it's present condition. Gruhn's luthiers would then restore 'on the clock', costing them much less for the restoration.

According to the agent for the seller, Ghrun's offered over $7,000.00.

Thanks.

Frances

Looks like its been painted.. overspray on the label.. I agree if the paper work is there stating Gruhn is stepping up to the plate and the seller has a signs document stating that.. it may be worth more.. but till then thats all I would pay if it was me.. there not cheap to repair.. whether its these or the scroll Style 0s. there a not braced carved top and back.. 100 years later its fragile..

• 2 months later...

Looks like its been painted.. overspray on the label.. I agree if the paper work is there stating Gruhn is stepping up to the plate and the seller has a signs document stating that.. it may be worth more.. but till then thats all I would pay if it was me.. there not cheap to repair.. whether its these or the scroll Style 0s. there a not braced carved top and back.. 100 years later its fragile..

Yeah, I passed on this one. Just too many variables involved and unknown costs......

Archived