Gibson Brands Forums

1941 J35

retrorod

Hey all! Its been a long time since I have posted or checked out the Forum here. Just wanted to relate a brief encounter with a 1941 J35 today. A local music store had it in for restring and setup. Family heirloom type guitar. In wonderfull original condition except for two screws placed in the bridge to help "hold it down". It had not seen much play in its life.

I played it with the old strings on....awesome. I have asked the repairman to do a mirror inspection before installing new strings and to play it again afterwards....wow.

My question about the serial #? No markings on the interior neck block visible. EG 5XXX stamped into top back of headstock. I cant seem to find info on this type of serial in all my reference material.

Can anyone else shed some light?

I took pictures with my phone but don't know how to transfer them to the forum.

Well, I have answered my own "pondering"! Thanks to the info on GibsonHQ.com, I have found that this style of (stamped into the headstock) prefixed with EG- was used on the 1939 J35. How cool is that? I feel that the bridge was replaced at some point on this example....otherwise.....minty! I hope to get to play it again today with fresh strings.....before the owner picks it up.

Rod

Archived