Gibson Brands Forums

Looking to trade '78 Custom for '16 Traditional

hi13ts

Hi friends,

I bought a '78 Les Paul Custom early 2015 and have had on/off times with it. I remember distinctly not being so crazy about its playability when I tested it, but was kinda blown away by its tone and how powerful it was. I brought it home to break it in with my setup and everything but those 70's frets are a story of its own. I put in some med-jumbos and was feeling a little better about it, but still could not get jiggy with it so I did another refret with 6105's, which are considerably taller, and it's finally feeling a LITTLE better. It's such a cool guitar and its tone is so commanding, but I find myself really having trouble connecting with it. I have an SG Original and ES-333 that I can slip in like a glove. Tonally, they're much more traditional and I like to drive my amp a bit more to get modern sounds from those two guitars. The Les Paul can really hit the nail on the head in regards to tone some days, but its playability detracts from an otherwise perfect time. Not only that, but it's so dense... it doesn't seem to resonate and breathe like my other two. I just haven't found that soul connection with it.

Saw a 2016 LP Trad T on consignment and played it today. Although it's didn't feel as perfect as an R8 I've played before, it was much more responsive and I could feel a bit of groove with it. '57 Classics on a Les Paul varies according to player and this one was good. It didn't sound super great, didn't blow me away like my 333 did, but it sound good and I was able to dig into it more.

I'm open to the possibility of trading in or selling the Custom for the Traditional, but I'm still weighing the pros and cons. The Custom is SUCH a cool guitar. I love having a vintage instrument and the feel of the worn-in neck and patina'd hardware is great. Once again, it's tonally a monster. The Traditional feels so much better to play, so much more like a glove, and it's tone is a little more in my alley of being vintage output and that thick creamy swirl of 57's, but obviously it's a modern guitar, different year, less commanding sound, different craftsmanship.

I just want your thoughts on the matter. Those who've owned either or both. Is it worth the trade you think? Thanks in advance.

:-k I think, by what you've said already, that you've already made your decision, whether you know it, or not.

And, what "we" think, is of little consequence, really. You're the one that has to play the one you choose.

Not us! [tongue][biggrin] If in doubt, trade it out! Besides, if you haven't really bonded with it, by now,

you most likely won't, whatever the reason. I've had instruments like that, too. Once I traded, or sold them,

I had no angst, at all. And, they weren't "bad" instruments, either. Just didn't "do it" for me. So, off they

went.

Good Luck, on your decision! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

I only tried two Custom's, a Black Beauty wich I only liked the looks of it, everything else was horrible.

And what I think is a LP Custom 68 in Heritage Cherry, probably built in the 80's according to the owner.

That one, much better loved the feel of the ebony board. But that would be the only thing special about it.

That thing was heavy, and it sounded good, but again nothing special.

Wouldn't trade my Traditional for either of them.

If you like the Trad better, go for it!

The refrettings using increasing fret heights and still not satisfying to you make me think you never will bond with your 1978 LP Custom. My point of view may be a rather different one, but I think the fret wire is not the reason why you don't like her.

I guess when you say 70's frets, you are talking wide and low ones. My first Gibson has been a used 1978 S-G Standard (S-G was spelles with a hyphen then, also on the bell cover) I still own. She has the same wide and low "Fretless Wonder" wires as the 50's "Tuxedo" LP Customs, and my 2013 Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs have them, too. I don't particularly like them and never did, but I think I will have a refret done using just the same.

Most of my other guitars have Medium Jumbos. There's just one exception, my Indonesian-made Fender Telecaster with set (!) mahogany (!) neck, 400 mm respectively 15.75" (!) fretboard radius and Super Jumbo (!) frets. I'm tempted to say she feels like an Ibanez [biggrin]

If the instrument's complete package is consistent, I can find my personal setup and be fine with it. In case it is not, changing a specific detail won't do it for me. Fortunately I never owned a guitar of which I didn't like the playability long enough to be persuaded she's a tonal monster. :-k

Thank you for the replies!

I'm still really thinking hard about it. I can't say it's a bad guitar, because it's not, it's just not as much up my alley as the others. A Custom is a dream guitar for most and I'd hate to just mindlessly throw it away at any price. I'll continue pondering over it. I'm certain things will work out one way or another. Maybe a bit of time will put me in the path of an even greater Les Paul like a well priced R8 or something.

One thing I would suggest, for the LP Custom (IF you haven't already done so), is to get a Neoprene Bass Strap!

It takes away a LOT of weight issues, and makes the guitar a lot more comfortable, for longer periods of time.

Levy and Fender both make excellent Neoprene Bass Straps, as I'm sure other strap makers may, as well. But, I'm

own one of each, from Levi and Fender. They "spoiled" me! [thumbup] LOL [biggrin]

CB

I guess when you say 70's frets, you are talking wide and low ones. My first Gibson has been a used 1978 S-G Standard (S-G was spelles with a hyphen then, also on the bell cover) I still own. She has the same wide and low "Fretless Wonder" wires as the 50's "Tuxedo" LP Customs,

I could never imagine anyone getting rid of the "fretless wonder" frets. My 25 / 50 has them and always will so far as I'm concerned.

Roland, you're absolutely right. The Custom and the "Standards" are different enough in tone and feel where they're not completely interchangeable, so I really would lose a guitar rather than swapping for a better one. It won't hurt to accept my Custom as its own guitar rather than trying to make it sound and feel like a 50's Standard. There will be more opportunities in the future.

On a side note, although I respectfully pass on swapping, I remember those Classic Antiques and they were pretty guitars! Especially the honeyburst!

Archived