Gibson Brands Forums

2004 Epiphone goth flying V help

AICD99

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience refinishing any of the Goth Flying V Epiphones? I recently purchased one that is all original except the previous owner had it taken apart and professionally painted by an automotive painter. Although the job was done well it doesn't appeal to me and I am going to strip the paint off and either repaint the original mat black or maybe stain it if the wood grain is nice.

My first question is heat gun or chemical paint remover? I have a heat gun and am leaning this route. My only concern is the pick guard and output ring which although I can have new ones made I would like to not destroy it trying to remove the paint. My other concern is the Mahogany wood underneath. The 2004 catalog states that the guitar is Mahogany. Has anyone stripped one to confirm hard wood and not veneer? The previous owner switched the neck and bridge pickups around, on accident I am sure. I haven't removed them to see but he said Seymour Duncan's but I am guessing Epiphone Classics as in the catalog. The bridge is muddy so I have a SD JB to place there. The only other modification other than cleaning up the wiring will be a Kill volume pot for the bridge pickup and a TUSQ nut. My Goth is not the Floyd model.

Any help or advice is welcomed!

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience refinishing any of the Goth Flying V Epiphones? I recently purchased one that is all original except the previous owner had it taken apart and professionally painted by an automotive painter. Although the job was done well it doesn't appeal to me and I am going to strip the paint off and either repaint the original mat black or maybe stain it if the wood grain is nice.

My first question is heat gun or chemical paint remover? I have a heat gun and am leaning this route. My only concern is the pick guard and output ring which although I can have new ones made I would like to not destroy it trying to remove the paint. My other concern is the Mahogany wood underneath. The 2004 catalog states that the guitar is Mahogany. Has anyone stripped one to confirm hard wood and not veneer? The previous owner switched the neck and bridge pickups around, on accident I am sure. I haven't removed them to see but he said Seymour Duncan's but I am guessing Epiphone Classics as in the catalog. The bridge is muddy so I have a SD JB to place there. The only other modification other than cleaning up the wiring will be a Kill volume pot for the bridge pickup and a TUSQ nut. My Goth is not the Floyd model.

Any help or advice is welcomed!

not sure of the best way to strip the paint but wouldn't you remove all of the hardware including the pickguard and output ring before doing so??

It sounds complicated. If I didn't know how to fix it (and I've NO idea!), I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

That is of course no help to you at all. Sorry for Grinching on your parade. But someone on here will probably have the answer.

Archived