Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard 2017 T

healedbygibson

The new Les Paul Standard 2017 T is a beauty. I like the fact that Gibson is using Rosewood for the Fingerboard and not Richlite. Id prefer an Ebony Fingerboard though. Also I like that it isnt using the Gibson GFORCE Tuning System. I havent played the Les Paul Standard 2017 T but the guitar seems to be a Gibson delight. The one biggest propaganda that people who play Fender Guitars put out about Gibsons is that Gibsons dont stay in tune. What a crock of malarkey that is. I own a 2014 Gibson Red SG Standard 120 Anniversary Edition, a 2007 Gibson Black Les Paul Custom, and a Fender Stratocaster 2014 American Design Experience. My Gibsons stay in tune as well as can be expected. When someone makes a generalized statement that Gibsons dont stay in tune as well as Fenders that person is talking out of his or her tucas. How well a guitar stays in tune is directly proportional to the kind and gauge of strings and the amount of play the set of strings on the guitar is put through. My favorite is the SG, then the Les Paul and then the Stratocaster. The reason I like my Gibsons more than the Strat is how they sound and how they are easier to play than the Strat. The Gibson Humbucking Pickups in my humble opinion are the best sounding pickups in production. Also I like the way Gibson positions the volume and tone knobs so they dont interfere with the strumming hand. On the Strat I find that I have to position my strumming hand in not as comfortable a position as I like because of where the Volume Knob is positioned on the Start, to keep from accidently turning the Volume knob with part of my palm on my strumming hand. Finally I like the sound of my Les Paul better than I like the sound of my SG but when Im going for the lead riffs up close to the body it is easier to play them on the SG as opposed to the Les Paul or Strat because of the double cut away body on the SG. In the end, buy the guitar that you enjoy listening to as you play it. If I buy the Les Paul Standard 2017 T I know Ill be unhappy with it. No brag just fact.

Guest Farnsbarns

Hello & welcome to the forum.

Looking forward to your 2nd post.

Best post of the year. Nearly wet myself.

Welcome Healedbygibson.

Merry Xmas!

On topic: if you lube it with Nut Sauce, stretch the strings when changing strings, have the nut just right... Does anyone ever have tunings issues after that..?

Funny but true: in my experience, the LAST thing to affect tuning stability are the actual tuners!

• 2 months later...

I bought a new Les Paul Standard 2017 T Bourbon Burst a week and a half ago, which is my first Les Paul in my 36 years of playing. After setting string height, intonation, etc., this guitar is a dream. I've had a 1981 Gibson "The V" since 1984 and a 2007 Gibson Faded V, white, three pickups for about five years. This is my first Les Paul and I love it. I played around for a few days with it before even putting it into an amp. After putting it into my amp, I'm even more blown away. The tone and sustain are fantastic, the playability is amazing. It's light but just heavy enough for my playing. I've read a bit about the chambering done on these and was a bit wary at first but my mind was set at ease after playing it and plugging it in and playing it. I'm sure I'll get a reissue at some point, just to have one, but I'm very satisfied with my 2017 Standard T.

Original poster said something about Gibsons staying in tune: I've never had an issue with any of mine over the years once the strings are stretched properly. I'm using Ernie Ball Super Slinky (.009) and have for decades. I don't have a problem with them going out of tune or breaking.

I bought a new Les Paul Standard 2017 T Bourbon Burst a week and a half ago, which is my first Les Paul in my 36 years of playing. After setting string height, intonation, etc., this guitar is a dream. I've had a 1981 Gibson "The V" since 1984 and a 2007 Gibson Faded V, white, three pickups for about five years. This is my first Les Paul and I love it. I played around for a few days with it before even putting it into an amp. After putting it into my amp, I'm even more blown away. The tone and sustain are fantastic, the playability is amazing. It's light but just heavy enough for my playing. I've read a bit about the chambering done on these and was a bit wary at first but my mind was set at ease after playing it and plugging it in and playing it. I'm sure I'll get a reissue at some point, just to have one, but I'm very satisfied with my 2017 Standard T.

Original poster said something about Gibsons staying in tune: I've never had an issue with any of mine over the years once the strings are stretched properly. I'm using Ernie Ball Super Slinky (.009) and have for decades. I don't have a problem with them going out of tune or breaking.

I believe you. but...

I'm the only one. The rest will all need photographic proof. The fear is that otherwise drummers will log on here and claim to have Les Pauls.

Your not a drummer are you? No, no! Like I said I DO BELIEVE you. You still need to post photos of Les Paul Standard 2017 T Bourbon Burst though.

Hahahaha! Of course! I'm going to take more pictures this weekend but here's a few I took the day after I bought it.

2017 Les Paul Standard T Bourbon Burst

2017BourbonBurst_zpsvsutj5hh.jpg

All three of my Gibsons

Allthree_zpsnlhsxn5w.jpg

1981 Gibson "The V" CMT Tobacco Sunburst

1981GibsonTheV_zpsswajpi4z.jpg

2007 Gibson Faded V White Three Pickup

2007FadedV_zpsx5exntrf.jpg

I believe you. but...

I'm the only one. The rest will all need photographic proof. The fear is that otherwise drummers will log on here and claim to have Les Pauls.

Your not a drummer are you? No, no! Like I said I DO BELIEVE you. You still need to post photos of Les Paul Standard 2017 T Bourbon Burst though.

• 4 months later...

Archived