Gibson Brands Forums

Clavioline/GA-40 amp

dkevin

I recently got a Gibson Clavioline amp. It was designed to amplify a keyboard. When I got it, I was surprised in several ways. The chassis mounts inside the cabinet with only the pilot lamp and off/on switch protruding through the top of the cab. There are no pots in the amp as designed. It uses a 6J5, two 6V6's and a 5Y3. The cabinet is pretty big. The chassis is long but shallow (nothing like the GA-40 I have). At first I thought I might build a tweed Discoverer...GA-8 because I really like the sound of that amp. However, as I examined the components I realized this amp uses the same power transformer as the GA-40 Les Paul amp. Now I am thinking that it would be a shame to use that huge PT to power a GA-8. I am now leaning toward a GA-40 mid-late 50's amp. The cabinet has plenty of room for a 12 inch speaker. I will have to think creatively to come up with a way to mount volume/tone/tremolo speed and /tremolo intensity pots. If I do go for a GA-40, the new tube array will be 5879's...6SQ7...12AX7...2 ea. 6V6's (push-pull) and a 5Y3.

• 4 years later...

Archived