Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 with P90's

Paul Harmer

Hi there,

I'm really keen on buying a 335 with P90's and have found a couple of used ones that look good, but they're subtly different and I wonder if anyone can help me understand the variants?

One has "ES-335" text on the truss rod cover and black/silver top-hat knobs while the other has the Memphis "f" logo on the truss rod cover and has black clear perspex knobs. The latter is model HB084M but I don't know the model number of the first one.

Otherwise the two instruments look superficially identical. But if anyone knows if one is "better" than the other I'd be really grateful! Or are they the same?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi there,

I'm really keen on buying a 335 with P90's and have found a couple of used ones that look good, but they're subtly different and I wonder if anyone can help me understand the variants?

One has "ES-335" text on the truss rod cover and black/silver top-hat knobs while the other has the Memphis "f" logo on the truss rod cover and has black clear perspex knobs. The latter is model HB084M but I don't know the model number of the first one.

Otherwise the two instruments look superficially identical. But if anyone knows if one is "better" than the other I'd be really grateful! Or are they the same?

Thanks,

Paul

AFAIK, 335s only came with humbuckers.

330s, which are fully hollow, always came with P-90s.

Check this out: http://guitarhq.com/gibson4.html

Thanks guys!

The Luther Dickinson is gorgeous (although I'm not so keen on having a Bigsby), but they're impossible to find used - I think people are hanging on to them!

This is the model I'm interested in, from 2011. I've found a couple in the UK but they have slightly different specs (knobs and truss rod cover as mentioned above):

https://reverb.com/item/53452-gibson-es-335-p90-custom-shop-2011-red-w-coil-tap-gloss-top

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

The Luther Dickinson is gorgeous (although I'm not so keen on having a Bigsby), but they're impossible to find used - I think people are hanging on to them!

This is the model I'm interested in, from 2011. I've found a couple in the UK but they have slightly different specs (knobs and truss rod cover as mentioned above):

https://reverb.com/item/53452-gibson-es-335-p90-custom-shop-2011-red-w-coil-tap-gloss-top

Hmmm. So that one sold in 2014. You might get in touch with the seller there but 'coil-tapped P-90s' doesn't sound right to me. Aren't P-90s single coil pups? And those tuners look nothing like any Grover locking tuners I've seen.

But Gibson customer service has been good about getting back to people if you send them that model # and S/N. The seller seems legit but the guitar seems fishy to me. Let us know what you find out!

I have the exact same guitar as referenced in the Reverb link (which has since been sold). It is a 335 with P90s that was made in 2011, and sold exclusively thru Guitar Center. Mine is red, and has an ebony fingerboard. There was also a dark brown & sunburst.

This model does indeed have coil tapped P90s. I never use the coil tapped setting, but it essentially cuts down on output to offer a different tonal palate. Other features of this model include self-locking chrome tulip Grover tuners, black top hat knobs, chrome hardware, a vintage style truss rod cover with "ES-335" in white lettering, a slim '60s neck profile, and a gloss top finish combined with a very smooth satin finish on the rest of the body. It is a stellar instrument, imho.

Note that there have been a number of other limited run releases of P90 equipped 335s over the years. Gibson hasn't done them too often, but they're out there & come up for sale periodically.

• 6 months later...

Archived