Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Sheraton II identity issues

Stooty

Ok - I've owned and played my Sheraton since about 2009. According to the serial number, it was made at the Samick factory in 2001, March. According to the sticker on the inside of the body, in pencil is written "II", after the printed word "Sheraton" and to the left, "JL Hooker"... for the blank next to "serial number" it says 421/1750" - but that's not the serial number on the back of the headstock.

This is NOT a John Lee Hooker signature model. I understand that the official hooker signatures had boogieman, John lee hooker somewhere on the truss rod cover and 12th fret, AS WELL as the inside sticker, but those stickers had a JL hooker signature that was different than what's in mine.

I also gather that some sheratons were produced in Japan and assembled here in America. However, mine is made in Korea. And rather than a sticker on the back of the headstock that says "assembled in the USA", like those I just mentioned have, mine says "100% inspected and set up in the USA"... and that's not the same. So mine doesn't seem to fit anything.

I've had this thing for about 7 years and played it at countless gigs. I've hot-rodded it out and it sounds and plays amazingly well. I've never noticed the "jl Hooker" on the sticker till this morning. What in the world is it? A Frankenstein of Epiphone parts and stickers?

Aorry, not much to offer. Has the number and hooker also been written in pencil? Could the previous owner have done it? Check epiphone wiki out for more info, i cant see any matches to your description. I use photobucket for pics, pretty sure theres no post limit for pics.

I think someone has a usa assembled hooker sherri, maybe they can offer more!

Actually, there have been 2 JLH designated Sheraton's. One made in Korea (black), and one made in Japan, but Assembled In USA.

I have one of the latter, designated Sheraton II, due to it's "stop bar" tailpiece. The Sheraton (I) has a frequensator tailpiece,

which is the only difference in the two models. The AIUSA versions came in "Natural" or "Vintage Sunburst" (Nitro) for both I and II.

The headstock, and body countouring, on the AIUSA is different, as well...much more like the original Kalamazoo era Sheraton's after 1962, and up to

and including 1969. In 1970, Epiphones were made in Asia. There were a few made in USA, over the years as special run, or special

editions.

My AIUSA version: (Notice the non-clipped cornered headstock, on the AIUSA) The Korean version has the (now) standard,

larger looking, clipped cornered headstock, that all Sheraton's come with, these days.

DSC_0235.jpg

DSC_0236.jpg

DSC_0237.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

This is "Stock" EXCEPT or the tuning key buttons. I changed them, to "Imperial" buttons, for my own aesthetics. They were originally stock rotomatic "kidney bean" style. I only changed the buttons, not the actual tuners. It's an awesome Sheraton, in every way, fit, finish, appointments, and playability and tone!

CB

Here is a link, to some viusals and info on the Korean version:

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Template:John_Lee_Hooker_Boogie_Man_Sheraton_II

As you can see, it has, the clipped headstock, and "Samick" (generic) body style.

The current Chinese production Sheraton's have a "Gibson" like body style/profile,

but retain the clipped (cornered) headstock.

Hope all this helps, in your determination of which "Sheraton" you own. [biggrin]

CB

Here is a link, to some viusals and info on the Korean version:

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Template:John_Lee_Hooker_Boogie_Man_Sheraton_II

As you can see, it has, the clipped headstock, and "Samick" (generic) body style.

The current Chinese production Sheraton's have a "Gibson" like body style/profile,

but retain the clipped (cornered) headstock.

Hope all this helps, in your determination of which "Sheraton" you own. [biggrin]

CB

I have no doubt that my Sheraton II is a Korean made sheraton from 2001. I'm not hoping that I have some strange and valuable rarity. I'm just trying to find out why the inside sticker has jl hooker and a separate serial number listed. It's perplexing. I have the vintage sunburst finish on mine and I love this guitar. I own a wide variety of guitars: Gibson Les Pauls, American strat... I have a good collection of nice guitars, but my sheraton is my 1 guitar that if my house was on fire, I'd grab.

I have no doubt that my Sheraton II is a Korean made sheraton from 2001. I'm not hoping that I have some strange and valuable rarity. I'm just trying to find out why the inside sticker has jl hooker and a separate serial number listed. It's perplexing. I have the vintage sunburst finish on mine and I love this guitar. I own a wide variety of guitars: Gibson Les Pauls, American strat... I have a good collection of nice guitars, but my sheraton is my 1 guitar that if my house was on fire, I'd grab.

Well, not sure "why" your's has the JLH sticker inside. Maybe it was a error in labeling at the factory? Who knows?

I think, though I'm not certain, that the Korean JLH's were all finished in "Black," but maybe not? :-k Some models,

in the Epiphone line are designated for the "Asian Market Only," and not meant to be exported. They, often, have a

bit different spec's, than the exports. And, some do turn up in the American and European markets, even so. So, there

are a host of possibilities! But, if you LOVE it, that's all that matters!

Cheers,

CB

My theory is: lots of parts for the signature run. Signature run, complete. Still have parts. You there... use those parts till they're gone. And I have some Frankenstein variant of a sheraton II with a JLH sticker that plays like an elitist.

Archived