Gibson Brands Forums

63 sg special

Msutton

I've been told that this is a 63 sg special, I know is not in the best condition. I myself do not play I'm came across this guitar and have someone that wants to buy it. I do know that it is worth something, so I'm just trying to get some idea of the value of it. Amy help would be greatly appreciated.

post-83217-037095700 1482730029_thumb.jpg

post-83217-056116100 1482730062_thumb.jpg

post-83217-072996600 1482730107_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Doing a little search online shows that a 1963 Gibson SG Special in very good to excellent condition is between $2500.00 and 5000.00. The one shown in those pictures is not even in bad condition. It looks more like terrible. You didn't mention what you were offered but in my opinion, just about anything you can get out of it is better than nothing. Someone is going to have to put a lot of money into it just to make it playable and functional. I can't tell but it looks like there's damage on the fretboard. If the electronics work, it will be a miracle. The finish is trashed. I couldn't even imagine what it would take to make it look like new again. It might make a fun "wall hangar." I'm no expert and perhaps others can better advise you.

I've been told that this is a 63 sg special, I know is not in the best condition. I myself do not play I'm came across this guitar and have someone that wants to buy it. I do know that it is worth something, so I'm just trying to get some idea of the value of it. Amy help would be greatly appreciated.

What a sad neglect, of an otherwise (originally) nice guitar! [scared][crying] If I were you, I'd take it to a good luthier,

have it evaluated, for structure and find out what all will have to be done to it, to make it viable, again. IF it's beyond

hope, at least you'll know that, and can decide what to do, accordingly. If it's structurally sound, and just needs a refinish,

re-fret, and/or new electronics, it might make a nice "project" for someone. There are those, that love to restore "basket

case" guitars, to their original glory. So, you could advertise it, as such, and see what happens?

Good Luck!

CB

Archived