Gibson Brands Forums

63 sg special

Msutton

ve been told that this is a 63 sg special, I know is not in the best condition. I myself do not play I'm came across this guitar and have someone that wants to buy it. I do know that it is worth something, so I'm just trying to get some idea of the value of it. Amy help would be greatly appreciated.

That looks really rough and rusty - was it in a flood? . . Being a '63, if you spent some money cleaning it up, it could be worth a nice sum of money - but have it checked out by a shop/luthier before you decide to spend money on it. In great shape they're worth $6000+.

As it is, it's a project guitar and I haven't seen one of this vintage come up in a while so I'm guessing - depending on how bad the condition is (it looks pretty bad - the guy holding the guitar has a glove on!), with the trem and other parts missing, maybe $200 - $250. If the electronics work it might be worth quite a bit more (that neck pup looks real bad). If the condition is better than I'm getting from the pics, the value might be higher. Here's a project 63 SG Special (no trem) completed fleaBay listing that asked $800 but took best offer and it looks a lot better than yours. - link (scroll down).

Maybe someone who's recently seen one of these projects go will chime in with better info.

In my opinion that guitar is a labor of love.

It looks water-damaged, paying for a restoration would be more expensive than what the instrument is worth

Vintage guitars are worth money when they are in good condition

There is 66 for sale here locally for $2,000 in great condition, the only mods is that they put humbucker pickups and Grover tuners

This guitar you have is for someone that wants to restore it themselves and use it themselves

This is the one for sale locally, now reduced to $1,900

I am of those guys that tinker with all my guitars and have refinished a couple of Gibsons, i would probably pay $500 for that guitar max.

A lot of these SGs have a narrow but width and they are not for everyone.

If you are getting anywhere between $500 and $1000 I'd take it

69861E5E-8EDF-418B-A4AE-9D46BF07141C_zpsvusbzoks.jpg

On the other hand, IF it's neck is straight, and most of the "damage" is just cosmetic (serious as it looks),

all is NOT lost! If you are, or someone you know is, good with wood, it could certainly be restored to good, maybe

even great playability, and even decent looks, with some heart felt work, and TLC. If you can acquire it, for a

"song"(so to speak), might be worth it? But, that's really up to you.

Good Luck, with whatever you do/decide. :)

CB

Thank you all for the information, the pictures really do not do it any justice. I am not familiar with guitars but in my opinion it appears to be pretty solid and mostly cosmetic damage. This at least gives me direction to head into now.

Thank you all for the information, the pictures really do not do it any justice. I am not familiar with guitars but in my opinion it appears to be pretty solid and mostly cosmetic damage. This at least gives me direction to head into now.

Frankly, in the case of guitars the opposite tends to be true, pictures don't show a lot of problems and extent of damage unless you are using high definition pictures.

This guitar has been exposed to a flood or a wet basement, if there is rust in the tuners and the pickups most likely there will be rust in the truss rod, if it's shot then that's major surgery.

But...as long as somebody wants to buy it from you at a price that you are happy and the buyer is happy that's all that matters.

The Nashville flood of 2010 took out countless vintage guitars here in town, despite their provenance and history a lot of those instruments were not repaired or restored.

Archived