Gibson Brands Forums

Serial number

Wabyron

I just got my grandfathers gibson acoustic guitar for Christmas. From what I have read it looks like it was from the 40's-early 50's. I believe it could be a j48? There is a factory or serial number stamped on the inside 4033 27. The Gibson logo supposedly indicates that it's older as well but I'm not sure. On the logo the dot of the "i" is touching the G. I need to find some 3 on plate tuners for it as the knobs have all deteriorated. Thank you for any info you all can provide.

https://wabyronphotos.shutterfly.com/pictures#n_5

A photo or two might help, Waybron.

I'm not saying we've helped somebody who posted photos, and I'm not saying we didn't.

Just saying.

[mellow]

06pway3.jpg

Just posted the photos. Couldn't drop them in directly. I had to link to Shutterfly. Thank you for your help.

A gorgeous guitar, Waylon!

Your grandpa passed on a lovely legacy to you indeed.

It looks like a Gibson L-48.

Worth about $1,100 in the condition on display.

All it needs to be good to go is the tuning keys mounted back onto the six spindles.

The L-48 was made in Kalamazoo, Michigan from 1946 thru 1970.

Yours has a serial number that would indicate that it was made in 1966, but then again, that would only apply if the serial number were stamped into the wood on the back of the headstock.

Does that sound right, or do family members recall that Grandfather owned it much earlier than that?

Somebody with more experience with older Gibson arch tops can probably offer more information.

Standing by.

:)

I'm no expert but according to Reverb, Inked number with no headstock stamp dates this to 1950 (3000's to 5000's)

Looks nice. As mentioned above, if the tuners are okay mechanically, just have some new vintage looking buttons put on the stems. Otherwise there are replacements that should match fairly well.

Thank to both of you guys! So about the serial number it is ink stamped on the inside inside the f but not on the headstock. We also have an idea that he played it prior to 1966. So any information along those lines could help. The tuners seem to work but one is slightly bent and I'm not sure how to glue new buttons on but we got a name of great repair and restoration expert here in my area. Again thank you for your guidance!

Archived