Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson sg

Rodney H

I had a Gibson sg that I bought used from a pawn shop in 1977. I no longer have it and can't remember what I did with it, I'm trying to get some idea of what it may be worth. It was a cream colored sg, the neck was extremely think compared to my Les Paul, and it was unbelievably light weight. The pick guard was the full size one and the pickups were the chrome (nickle) ones. Since I bought it used in 77, I know it was pretty old and I'm curious just how much it was really worth. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome Rodney. I had two pairs of prescription glasses. One was pretty expensive and I misplaced both and can't find them. Then I lost a magazine from my conceal carry gun and can't find it. It's heck getting old! One thing though, I'm not loosing my guitars, they all stay right here where I play them.msp_flapper.gif

The 80's are all kinda blurry for me. Whoever said you can't have too much fun may have been wrong, at least in my case. From the info I've provided does anyone have an idea of what year the SG was made? The only lettering on the headstock front was the Gibson name and the truss Rod cover had the word standard or SG on it, I can't remember which. I remember that the serial number was engraved on the back of the headstock near the top. Surely an SG as lightweight as that and with a neck that thick would have only been produced between a certain period of years. If anyone has any knowledge about it I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I'm sorry that I can't help, I started playing at 13 but then gave it up when I married and picked it up again coming up on 4 years now. There are folks here that may be able to help but no guarantees. There are some guitar experts that abound here. Get your required posts in so you can go to the lounge forums and you can ask folks there if you don't get help here. I think you might be able to go to all things gear and ask there. Good luck.

Archived