Gibson Brands Forums

New Pickups For V

robertscott

Hi all,

Picked up a flying V today which I totally love, but it's way too high output for my needs (why did I buy it? Purely on looks and playability).

So I'm thinking a 57 classic and classic plus in the neck and bridge, respectively.

I'm just wondering if there's any issue with doing this, as I know the V has a coil tap feature. I couldn't really care less about whether that still works, but I'm just checking to make sure there's no big deal with it when it comes to changing pups?

Thanks

4-wire pickups are the same as the single wire, they just don't group the wires so you can do splits and such. The quality should be no different.

If you're happy with the options of the V as it comes; have a look inside the control cavity. If you've got a PCB board in there and the pickup wires have a plug on them; get some Gibson Quick-Connect pickups, which will have the same plug. This means it's a drop-in and you don't have to solder anything.

If it's hand-wired / solder-jointed, then get whatever you like - you've got a shedload of options, so maybe look at another company that makes pickups and give theirs a try. If you've got a PCB guitar, you can still look at other manufacturers and have got options to link non-Gibson pickups into a Gibson control circuit.

A lot of players feel that the stock pickups on some Flying V's and Explorers are one trick ponies only good for high output playing.

While for the most part that may be true, probably because they are running at full volume, I like to think that these pickups are capable of high output, but can easily be rolled back.

Some nice cleans can be had by rolling off the volumes with both pickups selected.

Also, putting covers on these normally open-coil pickups takes just a little bit of the edge off.

Now, between the "T", "HP" and Faded models, the stock pickups vary from `57 Classics with Burstbucker 3's, sets of high output "Dirty Fingers', Burstbucker Pro Rhythm and Lead, to the traditional 496R & 500T's on the Explorer HP etc.

• 2 weeks later...

thank you for all the replies, gentlemen. I'm sorry its taken me so long to get back to you all.

I understand that a lower output pickup will make it less like a V in terms of tone, but that's kind of the idea. I'm going to go for either the 57s or the good old 490/498 combo.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I'd go 57 or a set of Burstbuckers (not the pros). I've had the standard 496/500 combo and they were great in one V and bad in another.... had BB Pros and they were a bit too shrill. I currently have a 57 in the bridge of mine that I quite like it there.

I am assuming you purchased a 2017 model. 57s are great pickups but would make the V sound very un V like. 4wires are for coil taps etc.

I'm curious as to what you mean here, Megafrog? Granted I can understand the point if I consider modern V's, with their ceramic pickups and such, but for a model introduced alongside the first 'bursts in '58 they would have had a very vintage sounding pickup in the equipped PAF's, no?

I mean no disrespect nor am I trying to berate you - would like to know the basis of your statement comparison rolleyes.gif

I'm curious as to what you mean here, Megafrog? Granted I can understand the point if I consider modern V's, with their ceramic pickups and such, but for a model introduced alongside the first 'bursts in '58 they would have had a very vintage sounding pickup in the equipped PAF's, no?

I mean no disrespect nor am I trying to berate you - would like to know the basis of your statement comparison rolleyes.gif

You have a very valid question and I grew up in the era of the Scorpions and seeing Michael Schenker play one, I always viewed it as a metal guitar. Here is a pic of my V family. Please note the 2016 does have a 57 in the neck and it does sound great.

post-82636-010278500 1486428496_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

You have a very valid question and I grew up in the era of the Scorpions and seeing Michael Schenker play one, I always viewed it as a metal guitar. Here is a pic of my V family. Please note the 2016 does have a 57 in the neck and it does sound great.

Ahh, a fine response and a fine collection.

Noting the V on the left; I can certainly agree with the metal affiliation of the Flying V; it looks like a powerhouse of high gain riffmastery. I like the look of the 2016 red one. My irk with Gibson is that they made a small bodied V but didn't bother to make a corresponding hardcase for it! That being said my local in Barcelona has one of these going at the moment...tempting...

I was tempted late last year to get a body and neck from The Stratosphere on eBay; they had a natural 2016 V body and neck from that 'proprietary' / limited model. But the hassle of getting it over to Europe along with the new need for CITES certification makes it a bit too much to deal with. I would have fitted that thing with some double creams, though.

Thanks dude!

Archived