Gibson Brands Forums

String Question

ES-355.Jive

About to head about and do some string experimentation on my guitar.

For years I've used .9-.42 on all my guitars. 92 Studio, ES 359 and lately 355.

recently I've moved up to .10s on my semi hollow.

but I notice a slight difference in the instruments unplugged volume. I'm considering .11s but I'm also slightly curious about what forum members experience is with .11s on a semi hollow and how many of you guys have tried flatwounds on your semi hollow?

just curious.

FYI my playing style is very soft, mellow, not aggressive at all, and I use a JC120 primarily.

thanks

... FYI my playing style is very soft, mellow, not aggressive at all, and I use a JC120 primarily...

I played 11's on my 335 and 345 for years and was very happy (Blues and Rock). I few years ago I decided to try a set of 12-52, and have since begun using them on all my solids and semi's.

I do use flats, or technically speaking "nylon tape wounds", on my hollow body archtops for Jazz. From the description of your playing style and gear, you might want to try a set of flats on that semi. Grab a set of D'Adario "Chromes" and give it a try. They're cheat and easy to find. If you indeed like the flats, you could then experiment with the higher priced "boutique" and "handmade" flats. I'm a LaBella guy, but there are many here that rave about a TI product.

Archived