Gibson Brands Forums

Information on sg

Rodney H

Hello, I'm new to this discussion group and I hope I'm posting this in the correct area. I was hoping someone could help me figure out what kind of sg I got rid of years ago. I can't remember who I sold it to or if it was stolen, it's just nagging at me to find out how much it may have been worth. I bought it used in a pawn shop in 1977 or 1978. It was an off white ( cream colored ) Gibson sg, the neck on it was very thick compared to any other guitar I've ever played and it was unusually light weight. The truss Rod cover was engraved with either "standard" or "sg", I can't remember which. The pick guard was the larger " bat" type that I see when I look at pictures of older sg's. The neck and body were all one piece, no bolts or screws or plate. The pickups were the flat nickle "shiny" type, not the slim black ones. I remember the serial number being engraved at the top back of the headstock. Off hand that's all I remember. If anyone has any idea of about when it was made I'd appreciate the information. I probably let it go for a hundred dollars or so, I'd definitely remember if I had sold it for a good bit. I'm just curious if I let someone get the deal of a lifetime. Thanks in advance for any input and have a great 2017.

I figured it was probably worth a good bit. I wouldn't be surprised if it was made in the 60's. I wish I had known it was worth something, but unfortunately the word internet was not part of our vocabulary back then. There's no telling how long the fellow had the guitar before pawning it. I came along in '77 and bought it for $175.00 dollars. Back then we could pick up used strats, telecasters, twin reverb amps, etc. for just a couple hundred dollars used, If we'd known then what we know now I would've had a house full of them. Oh well, I guess a lot of folks feel that way, but I sure wish I still had that sg. Had a winner and didn't know it, same thing with a girl I once knew. Take care.

Yea, back then used guitars we just used guitars... I bought a used Gibson SG with case for $ 160.00 back in 74/75... but if you think about it that's about right. If you now look at a 2012 / 2013 Gibson SG that sold for let's say 1,200.00 bucks, it now would sell for used around $ 900.00 or a little less... think I sold by 70's SG for around 90.00 bucks around 78/79 .... wish I kept it...

Archived