Gibson Brands Forums

Chip in finish - should I worry?

Dg77

So I was restringing today and I noticed a little flake near the tuning peg and brushed it away only to discover it was a nasty chip of the finish. Then I immediately noticed a second chip near another peg. Should I be concerned here? Look only cosmetic which I can get over albeit a little begrudgingly. The guitar is kept in the case when not played and hasn't left the house. It's never seen house temps below 65ish. I do store my guitars in a corner near an outside wall but again the temps don't go below 65 and in fact my acoustic guitar has a temp/humid gauge in the case and it doesn't fall below 68ish inside the case.

I know it's not covered under warranty and probably not worth a repair since it's not terrible.

Thoughts?

M0mcd2.jpg

QEBOFm.jpg

Attaching pics.

Looks like the nuts on the tuners were over tightened. I wouldn't worry about it personally...it's some mojo.

The chip around the low e tuner is pretty bad. It won't hurt the guitar, but that is really not normal and it looks terrible.

Actually not unusual. This topic comes up once in a while. The lacquer finish has delaminated a bit - as mentioned, the tuning peg nut might have been over tightened. You can have the chipped out area drop filled by a luthier/shop. Or a "refinish" of the headstock. Here's a good thread on it - http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/gibson-headstock-finish-issue-around-tuning-pegs.1510057/

Thanks guys - I have seen similar issues posted here and on other forums.

The guitar is only 5 years old so it's a bit disappointing but as long as it doesn't worsen I think I'll survive. Seems like an easy repair for any competent luthier so if it does worsen I'll look to get it fixed.

Do you have a habit of over-tightening things?

The truss rod cover seems to have a crack at the top screw, also.

Nope ive never tightened the nuts on the pegs and only made one truss adjustment since I owned it and barely tightened the screw because I'm always afraid of stripping the wood.

Archived