Gibson Brands Forums

About gettig old

Rabs

Oh, yes indeed. Nothing like catching your reflection in store windows and wondering who the old dude is - oh damn! On the brighter side, my rate of deterioration seems to be running about 10 years behind the expected schedule in a lot of ways. Any cause for optimism is cause for optimism, right? 😯

I would rather be young again but would not want to go through some of the things I've been through all over again. I do love the benefits I have now being older, it would be great if Time could just stop now and not get any older.

Younger and wiser would be good, though!

I would rather be young again but would not want to go through some of the things I've been through all over again. I do love the benefits I have now being older, it would be great if Time could just stop now and not get any older.

Time can stop and you not get any older Butch but I'm not sure thats the result you are after?

I have to say at my age on New Years Eve the only resolution I hope to keep is to be here in 12 months time!

Cant take anything for granted now~

1483186389[/url]' post='1823262']

It's the oxygen we breathe, it's highly corrosive!

Love all your comments so I gave you all a plus. Don't know about the oxygen in the air we breathe thing, true it's not the cleanest and has pollution in it but Deb's mom has been on clean oxygen breathing machines 24-7 for years and she looks like hell. Deb doesn't think she will survive this winter. I look at my mom today at 86 and while she still acts like a 16 year old her skin looks worse then a Elephant and has black and blue bruises all over. Guess that's just life and we all get there eventually. The older I get the more respect I have for older folks.

Rabs mate....you are NOT old yet....believe me!

Happy New Year 2017!

Ohh I know... But at the same time I feel it creeping on me.... Up to the age of about 35 I was still ok.. Then my appendix exploded which almost killed me (literally)... Since then my body seems to have given up lol....

Thinning hair on top, more hair where you don't want it, back aches, neck aches, watching what I eat etc etc etc and as you say im not even that old yet.. So much fun to look forward too :) (and seeing what my dad has been through and is going through at the moment)....

Anyway...

A happy 2017 to you too sir.. Lets hope its a good, healthy and prosperous one for all.

Love all your comments so I gave you all a plus. Don't know about the oxygen in the air we breathe thing, true it's not the cleanest and has pollution in it but Deb's mom has been on clean oxygen breathing machines 24-7 for years and she looks like hell. Deb doesn't think she will survive this winter. I look at my mom today at 86 and while she still acts like a 16 year old her skin looks worse then a Elephant and has black and blue bruises all over. Guess that's just life and we all get there eventually. The older I get the more respect I have for older folks.

Trust me Butch, it's right.

when i turned 50 i was just as pleased as i could be.

i almost didn't see 40.

i have a large crowd of dead loved ones, friends and family in my heart.

people i would love to see right now, but they're gone.

most of them never saw 40, but not one of them saw 50.

so i say be glad you survived this far.

lots of good folks don't.

1483218374[/url]' post='1823401']

when i turned 50 i was just as pleased as i could be.

i almost didn't see 40.

i have a large crowd of dead loved ones, friends and family in my heart.

people i would love to see right now, but they're gone.

most of them never saw 40, but not one of them saw 50.

so i say be glad you survived this far.

lots of good folks don't.

Amen to that. My mom had 6 brothers and there were 5 sisters. 11 total. 4 brothers are dead and 2 sisters. Deloris is the oldest sister still alive at 94 I believe, mom is 86 I think and then the youngest is Lucy. The only two boys still here are the youngest of the bunch with Don having heart problems. I am very thankful I am still here. Happy New Year everyone, here's wishing everyone a better year and good health.

For me the frustration is how easily I run outa internal fuel. If you're 50, btw, you easily could be my kid, but you're probably lucky you're not.

I think too that there's a frustration that I've lifelong been nearly a nut on learning all kinds of things and gaining skills that ... when I croak will be lost. "Stuff" more likely will go to my relatively nearby nephews and perhaps my "baby" brother who's 28 years younger, but what's the value of "stuff?" A nice guitar has little value for a player not dedicated to making it sing, nor similarly other "stuff." My wife says if you want the short answer to things, check the encyclopedia. For the long answer and explanation, ask...

Musashi wrote Go Rin No Sho when he was around 60 and it's a book I carry always, albeit nowadays in digital form.

For what it's worth, his comment on martial arts, a way I've practiced one way or another from around age 12, kinda says it all to me.

He wrote: "Some people may think that even if you learn martial arts, they will be useless in actual battles. That may be so, but the true spirit of martial strategy requires that you train to be useful at any moment and teach men so that they may become useful in everything."

At that last, I fear I've lost the usefulness I should probably have contributed better while more physically capable. And that to me is the sadness of aging I've seen in a few older acquaintances and now increasingly feel within myself.

OTOH, ain't decided to quit yet.

"Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,

And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Do not go gentle into that good night."

m

Archived