Gibson Brands Forums

Put a 1959 Gibson pickup/harness in a $90 Epiphone...

tOCK

This Epiphone was supposed to be a stop gap for installing a 1959 P90 pickup/harness etc. I was going to get a real Gibson to put the electronics in. But after hearing it in action...

Listen to the end for a description of what the upgrades were along with the chain/setup/mic etc. I can hear a little intonation issue from a high nut but that's easily fixed.

Guest Farnsbarns

The guy demonstrates it with a totally gain saturated sound so we have no idea at all what the guitar sounds like. Why do people do that?

Guest Farnsbarns

Ha. Just watched another video by the same guy about the money for nothing tone. Thought I'd watch to see if the cocked wah we all know about was mentioned.

http://youtube.com/Watch?V=8gRzqGKLEGM

Perhaps learning the notes would be the first step and worry about the tone afterwards! To my ear the tone is a million miles away from the record too.

The guy demonstrates it with a totally gain saturated sound so we have no idea at all what the guitar sounds like. Why do people do that?

because about 1/2 of us hobby guys are unaware that your "true" tone begins to disappear the second you add some gain. as long as it "brings the brootalz" most guys think that means it has awesome tone

Guest Farnsbarns

I wouldn't say "the second you add some gain" but when it's saturated there's so little guitar left it means nothing. Gain distortion results from clipping of the wave form in the valves, (or transistors) effectively creating a square wave. It literally deletes some of the wave form and the most important part in terms of hearing the guitar. The changes of direction in a wave form largely define the tone. This is why we name the shapes on that basis, sawtooth, square, sin etc. That recording could easily have been anything from a dobro to a strat, to a Les Paul to a Tele. Could be single coil or humbucker or even a peizo. Not saying it sounds bad but it sounds like the gain stage of the amp. I'd have liked to have heard the guitar and the pickup.

Ha. Just watched another video by the same guy about the money for nothing tone. Thought I'd watch to see if the cocked wah we all know about was mentioned.

http://youtube.com/Watch?V=8gRzqGKLEGM

Perhaps learning the notes would be the first step and worry about the tone afterwards!

[biggrin] "I want my MTV" telling me the key. ;) The guy choose it two steps sharp for his demo. :P

Perhaps learning the notes would be the first step and worry about the tone afterwards!

All I could hear was a 12 year old kids version of "Jumping Jack Flash."

I will openly admit that I do not play guitar very well, but I'm not putting out videos of my crappy playing either.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the sound of the guitar. It's just that you can make that sound with any guitar given enough gain. If your ideal sound is Dimebag Super distortion then don't waste your time and money on hunting down vintage p90s and priod correct 1950s pots.

It's just a bit pointless.

for one.. I don't think I've heard too many people raving about the 50's P90 pickups as a go to choice of authentic historic pickups... the pickup of choice is always the PAF's [aka humbucker's].. not P90s.

second.. I don't think you could tell a $90 guitar or a $2,000 guitar when it's played that way in the video.

Archived