Gibson Brands Forums

Remove old plastic film from pick guard

Hi there. I recently bought a 2004 SG Standard. It's very original, so much that it still has the plastic film covering the pick guard. I want to remove it but it's aged and cracked so it can no longer be pulled off in one piece. Any thoughts on how to remove it? I don't want to scrape it off because I don't want to mark the pick guard. I've read that lighter fluid (naphtha) works well. Appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

The lighter fluid might work OK, but just try a drop on a corner somewhere and make sure it doesn't sort of eat into the plastic. If that is no good then I think you are stuck peeling it off in small pieces. Just start rolling it back along one of the cracks and see how big piece you can get, sort of like trying to peel the label off a beer bottle without tearing it.

Thanks for the replies. I've attached some photos. You'll see I've started scraping it off with my findgernail. Slow going but hopefully won't damage the guard underneath. Once that's done, I'll use something like lighter fluid to remove any residue.

Thanks again. Love this Board.

IMG_4677_zpsf7wstkxm.jpg

IMG_4678_zpspqsturob.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 1/7/2017 at 6:49 AM, JimC72 said:

On 1/7/2017 at 6:49 AM, JimC72 said:

Thanks for the replies. I've attached some photos. You'll see I've started scraping it off with my findgernail. Slow going but hopefully won't damage the guard underneath. Once that's done, I'll use something like lighter fluid to remove any residue.

Hey Jim, this is a couple years ago, but I hope you get an alert.  My pickguard looks EXACTLY like yours, with the protective plastic nearly impossible to get off.  I've only gotten off a quarter inch squared.  Do you remember what you used to remove the final mess and whether it gave any difficulty?

(BTW this is a pickguard I bought cheap used on a parts rack.  I think it was hanging there forever...)