Gibson Brands Forums

LP Pickup Selector Switch

When pickup selector is down (bridge pickup only) everything works fine, but sometimes when switching to the middle position for both pickups the neck pickup does not engage. A little jiggling of the switch seems to remedy it. Then sometimes when switching from the middle position to the neck pickup it cuts out and I get no sound. Again a little switch jiggling will get it to make contact and work properly.

I removed the back cover and took the switch out and all four connections look OK - but something must be loose or worn as there is an intermittent problem.

Any suggestions? Or is it time for a new switch?

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks

Hey man,

As well as the actual connections on the lugs, the ground wire from the switch should be wrapped around the three braided wires (pickups and output wire).... I have found that if that connection is loose it can cause the pickup to not work..

Apart from that it could be the metal contacts in the switch.. If you leave the switch in the neck or bridge position when not using the guitar it can cause them to become a bit bent and therefore loose... So you can just try pushing those metal connectors inwards a bit to stiffen the connection..

If none of that works I guess its time for a new switch.. How old is the guitar?

Hey man,

As well as the actual connections on the lugs, the ground wire from the switch should be wrapped around the three braided wires (pickups and output wire).... I have found that if that connection is loose it can cause the pickup to not work..

Apart from that it could be the metal contacts in the switch.. If you leave the switch in the neck or bridge position when not using the guitar it can cause them to become a bit bent and therefore loose... So you can just try pushing those metal connectors inwards a bit to stiffen the connection..

If none of that works I guess its time for a new switch.. How old is the guitar?

Thanks, Rabs. The pickup (bridge)works fine as long as the switch is making contact so I don't think it's the ground wire. Looking at the switch I thought the same as your suggestion to bend the connectors in a little, so I have tried that and will see how it works. Guitar is only 3 years old, and I've had LPs for up to 25 years and never had to replace the switch - although they probably don't make things like they used to. Standard Switchcraft switch though so should be reliable. I may have been inadvertently leaving it in the case with switch in the up position causing it to bend that plate out a little. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey man,

Hey Rabs, just an update, bent the connectors in a little and problem solved. Two weeks of playing and everything working great. Many thanks for the tip.

Hey Rabs, just an update, bent the connectors in a little and problem solved. Two weeks of playing and everything working great. Many thanks for the tip.

Cool.. Always good to hear back on these things :)

I find that about 70% of the time with these things its usually the most simple explanation that's the answer (and easily overlooked)... [thumbup]

Archived