Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone ES-339 P-90 Pro

sting729

Hello:

I just purchased an Epiphone ES-339 P-90 Pro model and was curious about what material was used for the nut. It appears to be plastic or nylon. Curiously, it is not included in the specification list on the EPI website.

Thanks You

I think.... if it's not called out in the specs, most of the time I think they would go with a material called Corian...

(which is a spiffed up name for plastic...)

Thank You for the response. I am very familiar with Corian being used as a kitchen / bathroom counter top material but have never seen it listed as a spec for a nut by any guitar manufacturer.

Thank You for the response. I am very familiar with Corian being used as a kitchen / bathroom counter top material but have never seen it listed as a spec for a nut by any guitar manufacturer.

They have used it for years, most of them. They don't call it Corian most of the time. I do think Tusq is Latin for Corian.

rct

I know my nuts, bro.

My Marteens have b0ne nuts, the Ol' Man of Nuts I am.

I had a brass nut on my 72 Tele custom, well, in the 80's. It was awful, changed it back to plastic after a couple years.

Other than that I haven't changed any nuts on my guitars. My current tele could probably use one, but Luther says don't bother til it breaks, which'll prolly be never. 4th switch, third volume pot, needs a refret, but I'm hopin to take it as it is when it comes time to go see 'ouisee.

rct

I know my nuts, bro.

I'm sure of that, posted the links for the OP's reading pleasure.

My Marteens have b0ne nuts, the Ol' Man of Nuts I am.

I think I only have one or two with bone nuts myself.

I had a brass nut on my 72 Tele custom, well, in the 80's. It was awful, changed it back to plastic after a couple years.

I had a half tusq/half brass on an ibanez MC400, hold a gun to my head and I still couldn't tell you I detected a difference with any of them.

Other than that I haven't changed any nuts on my guitars.

same here, I just leave em be, have em regulated when needed by my fix-it dude - knows what he's doing, I don't have the tools to do it right, a set of nut files are like crazy money.

Thanks for the all of your collective input. I've been playing for over 50 years (20 professionally) and I don't remember ever having a nut like this on any of my guitars. Typically. I don't focus on things like this when I buy a new guitar. Maybe this one just caught my attention because it is so bright white that is looks cheap. Although I have owned a wide range of guitars over the years, mostly high end including a '59 Gibson ES-175, D-35s, D-28, OOO-15, LP standards, PRS Custom 24 etc., I find in the last few years I have been gravitating to lesser expensive guitars like the EPI ES-339 being discussed in this thread, as well as the Jimmy Vaughan Strat and the Classic Vibe Tele. I loaded Texas Specials into the JV Strat because the Tex Mex pups were too hot for me but made no mods to the CV Tele.

Once again--Thanks to all for your responses

Archived