Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES-345 2014 Identification

StevieRayVehkis

I've been looking for a Gibson ES-335/345/355 for a while and now I found an ES-345TDC for sale which is said to be a '59 reissue from 2014 but I'm not sure how to verify it? It's got special colour, probably Pelham Blue and it doesn't have a serial number on the headstock. The label inside says model: ES-345TD and serial number A07047. The guitar doesn't come with the cerfificate or any documents. I've asked Gibson Service to help me decode the serial number but they only say that they can't find it in their system? Can anybody help trying to decode the serial number? I'm not really worried about if it's a fake or not since I've had plenty of Gibsons and there's no doubt this is a genuine item but the lack of serial number is a bit weird and I also I would like to be able to verify what model this is.

Thanks for your help!

post-83411-028014800 1483559715_thumb.jpg

post-83411-039686700 1483559727_thumb.jpg

That serial number doesn't follow the formula posted on the Gibson website. No matter, those listings are rarely complete or updated. It is a bit weird that Gibson doesn't have a record of that serial.

AFAIK that serial is correct for a Historic 1959 ES-345 TD. Here's a coupla similar Historic 345 TDs with similar serials -

. A06473

. A06554

Thanks for the reply! Looks like the Wildwood guitars serial numbers don't follow any reasonable decoding system either? Here's one that's even closer to the one I'm looking at:

It does bother me a bit that even Gibson Service (I got the reply from Gibson Service Europe) can't find the serial number in their system? The story was that this was a one-off ordered straight from the factory with some sort of endorsement deal but I would still guess Gibson would have wrote down the serial numbers somewhere but then again Gibson seems to have their own way of thinking what's reasonable and what's not :rolleyes:

... It does bother me a bit that even Gibson Service (I got the reply from Gibson Service Europe) can't find the serial number in their system? The story was that this was a one-off ordered straight from the factory with some sort of endorsement deal ...

More likely Gibson has changed the serial formula without telling anyone or posting it on their website - they've pulled this stunt in the recent past. There was the Centennial Year change in 1994 when all serials started with 94. Then the Gibson USA (Nashville) change to 9 digit serials in 2005. And finally in 2014 Gibson USA (Nashville) changed to YYRRRRRRR which no longer encodes the manufacture date (just the year and production rank). All of those changes caused a coupla months of speculation on the forums as Gibson never announced the changes or posted them on their website in a timely manner.

Good find on YouTube. BTW, it's a great guitar. You might try emailing your question to service@gibson.com which should get to the facility in the States - you might get a better answer - as Gibson most definitely has records of these shipments. If you find out how these serials are coded, please post back with the info.

Based on your photo, it looks to be a standard production model, which is kind of a combination, of '59 rounder horn shapes,

and a '60's type neck. But, that's only a guess, by the photo provided.

50's era ES-330, 335, 345, and 355 tend to have the rounder "Mickey Mouse Ears" horn shape, and fatter, rounder neck profiles.

The '60's ere versions have a slightly narrower and more pointed horn shape, and a narrower '60's profile neck. So, the "True

Historic's tend to follow those criteria/spec's, for whatever era they're modeled after. And, have the aged patina finish, and

hardware. The Standard Production ES-345 models, tend to have the '59 horns, 60's neck, and standard gloss finish, and non-aged

metal parts. But, like any model Gibson produces, there are always "exceptions!" Those tend to be special "limited runs," or a

particular artist's model, etc.

CB

Based on your photo, it looks to be a standard production model, ...

It's my understanding that the "A" serial numbers (in this case A07047) are only used on the "Historic" series guitars, and that "standard production models" would have the standard (eight-digit) serial number (stamped on the back of the headstock). The fact that the SN is ONLY on the paper label, and not on the back of the headstock, also leads me to this conclusion.

An "A" number 345 without any headstock stamping would be historically correct for a '59.

Have we seen photos of the ACTUAL guitar in question?

This guitar has the 50's style fatter neck but the parts are shiny and binding is white so I don't think this has got the VOS-treatment. The first photos are of the actual guitar and I would attach more but this forum says my quota is already full with 2 uploaded photos..

I actually emailed service@gibson.com but they replied to me from the European Service Center?

It's my understanding that the "A" serial numbers (in this case A07047) are only used on the "Historic" series guitars, and that "standard production models" would have the standard (eight-digit) serial number (stamped on the back of the headstock). The fact that the SN is ONLY on the paper label, and not on the back of the headstock, also leads me to this conclusion.

An "A" number 345 without any headstock stamping would be historically correct for a '59.

Have we seen photos of the ACTUAL guitar in question?

Well, Larry, as you own one ("Historic" ES-345) I'll defer to your expertise. But, the one in the photo sure doesn't "look" like

a "historic" version, to me. But then, I haven't seen every "historic" version made, either. So...??? [tongue][confused]

I will stick to my original horn shape and neck styles, for those particular era's. I'm sure,

though, as with all models, that there are "crossover" versions, and spec's, as well.

CB

• 2 years later...

You may get more responses if you start a new thread, but I think I can help.  Your s/n and the OP s/n are correct for what they are.   For the last 5 years or so, Gibson has used Axxxxx s/ns for some of the higher end reissues, the '59s in particular.  This applies to '59 335s, too.  I don't know what you mean by "coming up" unless you mean in a decoder.  Decoders don't cover this, as it it too new and not that common.   The A was added just for historical mimicking.  Your model number should have the year in it. 

Here is another one apparently just like yours, and close to yours s/n-wise:

Reverb ad

Edited by Wmachine

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am wondering about all this too.

I have a ES-345 TDC serial number 41279 Stamped on the back of the head stock, with no Made in USA,

and the Model and serial number are hand written on the Gibson label inside the F hole.

There is no letter in front of the Serial number

I have not found any definitive answers in my searches as to year and origin.

Can anyone let me know anything about this guitar?

Thanks

GD

Edited by Gibson 77