Gibson Brands Forums

Who uses med. strings on vintage Gibsons?

theflyingturtle

I use the bottom 3 strings from a medium set and top three strings from a custom light set on my 1965 J-50 with no problems and no tuning down. In fact, sometimes I actually tune up. :)

I have mediums on my 1939 J-55. I see no ill effects so far. I had been using lights (12) but switched recently and I like the sound better. JP PB strings. The neck relief looks ok which is a good thing because the nut on the truss rod is frozen😳

But, I think it depends more on the condition of the guitar whether or not it will tolerate heavier strings.

Rich

I've always been tempted to try 13's on my old L0 and L00 but the tops are so light I fear the stress at standard tuning would work on the belly without me catching a problem before it was too late. The bridge hole for that string can hardly accommodate the .54 diameter as is, much less get the pin to ease in there just snug but not tight. I think Gibson is trying to tell me something with that size hole.

I often put together my own sets of strings. But when I use straight mediums on my '42 J-50 and '46 LG-2, I stick with strings wound on a round core such as Newtones or DR Sunbeams. Next time I order strings I am going to give the new Curt Mangans a try.

I often put together my own sets of strings. But when I use straight mediums on my '42 J-50 and '46 LG-2, I stick with strings wound on a round core such as Newtones or DR Sunbeams. Next time I order strings I am going to give the new Curt Mangans a try.

DR Sunbeam mediums are the same gauge as most lights, but with a slightly heavier low E. It's a really nice combination, giving slightly more bass punch.

I use mediums on my 1942 J-45. When I had the guitar restored by Willi Henkes, of Antique Acoustics, he said mediums are fine and the guitar was built to take the tension. Willi is one of the worlds's most knowledgeable experts on old Gibsons. With all that said, I never take any chances with any of my guitars and always tune them down at least one full step when not used.

Lars

Wow Lars, I didn't know Willi Henkes restored your J-45. How fortunate for you and what an honor. I find his take on all things guitar to be illuminating to the nth degree. I especially like his insights into European spruce. There are a few guys in the guitar world I'd love to sit and talk to over some beers and he is at the top of the list.

Wow Lars, I didn't know Willi Henkes restored your J-45. How fortunate for you and what an honor. I find his take on all things guitar to be illuminating to the nth degree. I especially like his insights into European spruce. There are a few guys in the guitar world I'd love to sit and talk to over some beers and he is at the top of the list.

Yes, I am very glad Willi took my guitar on. It all started when I asked him to evaluate my guitar based on pictures and information from the seller. He adviced me to buy the guitar and said the price was very good and the issues minor. He actually said if I didn't buy it, he would. He then kindly agreed to help me with some repairs and a health check. I also think he got a little curious because the guitar is an early 1942 model, which is a little different from later guitars. Without his help, I doubt I would have dared to buy the guitar long distance the way I did. Willi was a pleasure to deal with, and I would love to visit his workshop one day and get a chance to meet him in person and thank him for all the help.

Lars

Depends on what they are used for. For mid 30s Js -- which are every bit as strong as old D-28s and D-18s but very rare -- mediums. You need that power to make them sing.

30gib1s.jpg

Both of the RW guitars -- the 36 AJ and 35 RSRG -- always get medium. I mean you would not put lights on an old D-28. mellow.gif Occasionally I will put lights on the 35 Jumbo -- it is as good as old D-18s with mediums, but it makes a much better finger picker because of its Gibson midrange.

These are also 30s Gibsons -- used mostly for fingerstyle gospel, traditional folk, blues, old time and folk revival. They get light 80/20s.

30gib2s.jpg

The 40s stuff are not strong enough for power bluegrass and traditional mountain stuff, so they get lights like the small Gibsons from the 30s. The one exception is the 43 RW SJ, which gets medium 80/20s -- the last of the old Gibson power RW guitars..

40Gibs.jpg

The 50s and 60s get lights.

60gibsontests.jpg

My wife (and me too I guess) have some bare fingerstyle stuff from our wasted youth in the 60s. We occasionally set up some with extra lights for that.

We use lights and extra lights on these. The KG-11 is always out as a bare finger couch guitar.

Zoos.jpg

In case you have not figured it out, IMO and IME they can all take mediums. So we string and set them up according to use.

Best,

-Tom

I've never really felt the need for mediums on older Gibsons. To me, they fit mostly with bluegrass where you want the boom and volume, and that's more the province of Martin instruments - and Martins respond very well to mediums in that circumstance. Gibsons have always given me a more nuanced response than have Martins, and I believe that diminishes as strings get heavier.

I've never really felt the need for mediums on older Gibsons. To me, they fit mostly with bluegrass where you want the boom and volume, and that's more the province of Martin instruments - and Martins respond very well to mediums in that circumstance. Gibsons have always given me a more nuanced response than have Martins, and I believe that diminishes as strings get heavier.

I agree with that mostly -- but you are allowed to do both.

Best,

-Tom

Excellent! Thank you to everyone who replied and help set my mind at ease. I will play meds. on my Gibsons till I can't do it anymore.

What kind of meds will you be prescribing for your Hummingbird ? Careful of the side effects and possible dependence.

Archived