Gibson Brands Forums

Help With ID of Possible 63 SG JR Please

tomh8

Hey guys,

I have a chance to get into a highly modified supposedly 63 SG JR for relatively cheap. The seller says the serial dates to 63. All electronics gone, refinished, tuners gone, bridge gone, but has the original case (original case is not the one pictured). Ill attach the pics I have, i'm trying to get him to send me more pics Ill add them when they come. Just need to know if you guys think its legit. To me the headstock looks correct (obviously no expert), he says it has a 59 shaped neck. I would want to do full restoration/refinish, sell all the parts that are on the guitar that aren't original. Try to find an original pickup, repro tuners and bridge. I have an idea of what the parts would cost, but how much for a refinish to cherry red (done professionaly)?

Thanks in advance

post-73232-026225400 1483653789_thumb.jpg

post-73232-095158500 1483653799_thumb.jpg

post-73232-044982400 1483653820_thumb.jpg

Hi and welcome but with the best will in the world those pictures could be showing a real '63, a Japanese copy from the '70s or anything else.

Even a real '63 Junior in good nick is pretty cheap. A '63 Junior with nothing original left but the wood? What is that, realistically, likely to be worth?

Lastly and stating the obvious a '63 SG should NOT have a '59 shaped neck. It should have a '60s shaped neck.

Unless it can be had for dirt cheap - and I really mean Dirt Cheap - then why bother???

It will cost you more to restore it to original spec than it would to just simply go out and buy an original example.

eusa_think.gif

P.

Hi and welcome but with the best will in the world those pictures could be showing a real '63, a Japanese copy from the '70s or anything else.

Even a real '63 Junior in good nick is pretty cheap. A '63 Junior with nothing original left but the wood? What is that, realistically, likely to be worth?

Lastly and stating the obvious a '63 SG should NOT have a '59 shaped neck. It should have a '60s shaped neck.

Unless it can be had for dirt cheap - and I really mean Dirt Cheap - then why bother???

It will cost you more to restore it to original spec than it would to just simply go out and buy an original example.

eusa_think.gif

P.

I agree and I know the pics aren't good, he is sending me more tomorrow morning. And correct the wood and the original case. I would be trading him an american standard strat that I personally have $200 in (long story but got a great deal on a trade). And I respectfully disagree on the cost, original spec 62-64 sg jrs seem to fetch $2500-3500 and I believe it will cost me about $1000 to get it refinished, get an original p90, and have tuners/bridge be repros.

What pictures if at all possible would be needed to tell if it is a 63?

Is this refinished? The serial number is there but very faint... also .. its a gretsch pickup in place of a p90 if its a real SG... I would steer clear of that one.. to many changes..

I didn't think about the routing for the new pickup. Actually yeah I think I will pass.

Thanks for the replies

...I respectfully disagree on the cost...and I believe it will cost me about $1000 to get it refinished, get an original p90, and have tuners/bridge be repros...

Thank you for taking my post in the correct spirit.

In the same vein you might consider that, to someone who cares about such stuff, a refinish devalues a guitar by at least 40% and replacement hardware by roughly the same percentage. A '63 SG Junior with a refinished paint-job, modern hardware and non-original but period-correct pickup is not going to be worth anywhere near $2k. Nothing like it.

If you like the guitar and if you think you would be happy with it then please buy it and it will probably be worth, to you, $1,000.

Good luck.

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

Thank you for taking my post in the correct spirit.

In the same vein you might consider that, to someone who cares about such stuff, a refinish devalues a guitar by at least 40% and replacement hardware by roughly the same percentage. A '63 SG Junior with a refinished paint-job, modern hardware and non-original but period-correct pickup is not going to be worth anywhere near $2k. Nothing like it.

If you like the guitar and if you think you would be happy with it then please buy it and it will probably be worth, to you, $1,000.

Good luck.

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

I didn't mean this guitar redone would be worth 2k at all. I just meant if I wanted to buy an original or mostly original one I'm out at least $2500. But yes I totally understand. I'm leaning towards passing. Thanks for the opinions.

Archived