Gibson Brands Forums

Worn Brown G-400

nyweb2001

I just got my Worn Brown G-400 from one of the bigger on line stores. Went against my biggest rule.......don't buy unless I can play it. Too late ! Love it though ! Out of the box the action was good, if a little too low. Raising the bridge a little will fix that. It was in tune and the intonation was almost perfect. I've owned a number of Epi's over the years and am surprised with the electronics. PU's sound good, Pots and switch are just right ! As this is my first SG, I can't get used to the strap post on the back. The neck wants to drop down. Guess it's something I need to get used to.

The worst thing is the frets, which I see others noted here. No buzzing, just the ends aren't flush with the neck. Not bad but it shouldn't be. I'll get the fret files out.

Other than having trouble with the neck wanting to fall to the floor with the strap, I think it's well worth $320 ! You get what you pay for !

As this is my first SG, I can't get used to the strap post on the back. The neck wants to drop down. Guess it's something I need to get used to... Other than having trouble with the neck wanting to fall to the floor with the strap, I think it's well worth $320 ! You get what you pay for !

SG's and G400's are notorious for the "neck dive". Best I can suggest is a wide suede leather strap. That, and "get used to it". My two cents anyway. YMMV.

Other than that, congrats on the new guitar and glad you're happy with it.

SG's and G400's are notorious for the "neck dive". Best I can suggest is a wide suede leather strap. That, and "get used to it". My two cents anyway. YMMV.

Other than that, congrats on the new guitar and glad you're happy with it.

The neck dive can be easily corrected with the addition of a Bigsby, which is a perfect complement to an SG.

1965_gibson_sg_standard_bigsby-11802-max.jpg?.jpg

Other folks have had good results by hanging a fishing weight or two from the end strap pin.

Everyone's right. I have a wide leather strap that helps a lot......although I don't trust it until I get a set of strap locks. That's one problem solved ! Now if I can CAREFULLY get these fret ends filed this thing will be perfect for me !

post-55520-053834200 1483667317_thumb.jpg

The neck dive can be easily corrected with the addition of a Bigsby, which is a perfect complement to an SG.

Forgot about that option, but yeah, I'd agree (said he owning four guitars with Bigsby's LOL)

Well, your "rule" of not buying something you haven't seen and/or played, is a good one! But, sometimes you get lucky,

anyway. However, the "neck dive" issue would have shown up, prior to purchase, so I guess that one's on you. [flapper][biggrin]

I have 4 SG's (all Gibson), and NONE of them have "neck dive," even the one with just a stop bar tailpiece. The other

3 have Maestro's on them, and if anything, they're (slightly) "body heavy!" But, not that noticeable at all, and what little

there is, is taken care of by my Neoprene straps. They don't slip or slide, and are Very Comfortable! Been using them,

for years, now. For my Les Paul Custom and LP Deluxe (both of which are "anvils" weight wise), I use the Neoprene

Bass straps. Wide, and with their "give" they take the weight issue out of the equation, almost totally.

Cheers, and enjoy your new G-400! [thumbup] Once you get used to them, and that lovely tone and upper fret access,

you may well be "addicted!" SG's (can) tend to do that![biggrin]

CB

Archived