Gibson Brands Forums

How long have you been playing guitar

4Hayden

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started when I was 13. I had been learning to play the drums (my Father was the drummer in a jazz band), but we had a really cool science teacher at school who would set us our work then sit on the work benches around the side of the room and play his guitar to us. Eventually a few of us managed to talk him into teaching us guitar at lunch time. I gave up at around about 18 because of other interests (Gliding and Girls) but started playing classical about ten years ago before returning to mainstream guitar playing about 6 years ago. Are you still awake [biggrin]

Ian

Guest Farnsbarns

Oh, we're doing serious answers today?

OK. 26/7 years with a long period (10 years or so) where I only played very occasionally.

First noodled around on the family baritone uke, and then on to the nylon stringed classical guitar that was sitting in the corner. I'll call 1970 as the year I started "playing" guitar as that was when I got my first electric.

So, I guess I'd say 47 years.

10 years... I bought my 2007 Les Paul Classic with no idea how to play it... Same years I joined this forum. I was a drummer in high school and later became a Sound Engineer and producer. I always wanted to play guitar though. Hey it's never too late! Just do it!

Noodled around with a couple of cheap guitars when I was a little kid, but didn't buy one of my own (and begin playing earnest) until the age of 16, in 1975 or 1976.

Same year my brother and I started a garage band.

(does the mental math, counting fingers, pulls one sock off, counts toes)

Okay, my answer is 42 years, give or take a few months.

[crying]

Archived