Gibson Brands Forums

R7 or R6?

beefyburt

Guest Farnsbarns

Hi. So, which would you buy and why? A 2010 R7 with Monty's PAFS or 2013 R6 with P90's? Both goldtops, both in v good condition, both with all the papers/case etc.

Need some help guys to make the choice.

I'd buy which ever I liked the most after playing them. Honestly, what does it matter what others would buy? It's entirely subjective.

On the other hand I no longer have an R6 so prolly that but then I have an R8 already so the 7 wouldn't really bring anything different (in theory).

I'd buy which ever I liked the most after playing them. Honestly, what does it matter what others would buy? It's entirely subjective.

On the other hand I no longer have an R6 so prolly that but then I have an R8 already so the 7 wouldn't really bring anything different (in theory).

Thanks for this. However, being left handed, its not as simple as just going and playing. I've held an R6 and R7 but both were right handed. Hence asking for some opinions. But thanks for your.

It really comes down to pickups, do you want the P-90 sound or the Humbucker sound?

Thanks, yes the pickups are key, but also the R6 is slightly heavier than the R7 but you do notice it. Problem is that I'm left handed and so hard to find any to try. And when I say hard, I mean impossible.

... I'm left handed and so hard to find any to try.

Deciding between P-90's and Humbuckers has nothing to do with the "lefty" thing, or even hands-on playing for that matter. You can internet research the difference between the two types of pickups, they are very distinct. You could even go to a store that might have any Gibson's with both p/u configurations in similar models, and ask the salesperson to demo the righties for you.

Being able to critique to sound of the two types of pickups might even be easier and more "objective" if you're only listening, and not having to play it at the same time.

This might well be a dumb question but I'm happy enough to learn from the answer...but if you already have a 60's Tribute Goldtop with P90's, isn't the R6 going to be kind of the same but with a fat neck and fancy trim?

Deciding between P-90's and Humbuckers has nothing to do with the "lefty" thing, or even hands-on playing for that matter. You can internet research the difference between the two types of pickups, they are very distinct. You could even go to a store that might have any Gibson's with both p/u configurations in similar models, and ask the salesperson to demo the righties for you.

Being able to critique to sound of the two types of pickups might even be easier and more "objective" if you're only listening, and not having to play it at the same time.

Thanks for your comment. Listening to youtube is not the same as being in the shop playing. Being left handed does make a difference to the buying experience- pretend you go into a shop, all the guitars are left handed, including a version of the one you want. So you get the assistant to play it or you, then you go away and find one online and buy it. Really? Would you? Well, welcome to the world of being left handed. I've tried a right handed version of a lefty guitar I wanted, and then ordered online hoping it feels ok when it arrives. So the purpose of this post was to get opinions, positive ones, not negative ones that state the flippin obvious.

This might well be a dumb question but I'm happy enough to learn from the answer...but if you already have a 60's Tribute Goldtop with P90's, isn't the R6 going to be kind of the same but with a fat neck and fancy trim?

No such thing as a dumb question my friend. I'm sure the R6 has different/better P90's, but also the body is solid and dense and so will make a difference to the sound. I was hoping for some positive hands-on replies from people, but most are rather negative unfortunately.

Hello, my friend!

We are in the same boat, it seems. I'm also looking into buying one of those Goldtops. I dunno if my thoughts on the matter will eventually help you in your search, bit I will sure try.

When I'm looking to buy a new guitar, I usually go through the same process. I start off by determining if there are any differences in neck shape between the two guitars. The R6 and R7 should be historically correct. Therefore, the rule of thumb should be the further back you go, the thicker the neck becomes generally. But this might be less drastic than when you compared the R9 to a R8. But still, it might be worth a Google search, but definitely a visit to a store where you can feel the difference. You can use a right-handed version, as the shape on each model should be very consistent.

Next up, determine how you like P90's and humbuckers. Also, try to answer the question what will this new guitar's role be in your arsenal, and what sort of tone will you be chasing. Also consider your amp and pedals, because they will be a huge factor, too. For me, personally, a guitar with P90's will never be a true number one. It's more to add to my collection for a different flavor, rather than taking over my core sound.

These couple of points I made, I feel, will really help you to form a conscious decision on what path you're going on next. After answering these questions for yourself, you can start by comparing a couple of lefty R6's or R7's. It might take a long time, because they don't pop up all the time. But you don't want to make an impulsive decision. Ask around, and maybe ask a store to order one especially for you. Or try the used market. They do pop up from time-to-time.

Hope this helped! Good luck

Guest Farnsbarns

This left handed thing poses a bigger problem. Where in the world are you? I know of a very big dealer in the UK who have a lefty guitar manager (staggeringly can pick up right-handed guitar and play it upside down, left handed, better than I can play the right way up). They'll have a few of each in LH I would think and he may sympathise enough to get them all in the store one day. He's a really nice bloke. It's GuitarGuitar btw, although I know him from GAK where he used to be guitar manager.

If you have a p90 equipped LP (and they are the same) I'd definitely go with the R7, especially with Monty's pups.

This left handed thing poses a bigger problem. Where in the world are you? I know of a very big dealer in the UK who have a lefty guitar manager (staggeringly can pick up right-handed guitar and play it upside down, left handed, better than I can play the right way up). They'll have a few of each in LH I would think and he may sympathise enough to get them all in the store one day. He's a really nice bloke. It's GuitarGuitar btw, although I know him from GAK where he used to be guitar manager.

If you have a p90 equipped LP (and they are the same) I'd definitely go with the R7, especially with Monty's pups.

Thanks for your comments. I've been to GuitarGuitar in Epsom, met the man, who indeed is vey nice and clever and lefty focussed. They did have a good selection of lefties when I went which was a nice change - I've been in some big stores which have no lefties, none, zilctch, nadda. Some stores will order guitars, but normally only if you agree to buy them, and as some lefties are limited runs, they arnt always available to order. Its a challenge for sure.

Hello, my friend!

We are in the same boat, it seems. I'm also looking into buying one of those Goldtops. I dunno if my thoughts on the matter will eventually help you in your search, bit I will sure try.

When I'm looking to buy a new guitar, I usually go through the same process. I start off by determining if there are any differences in neck shape between the two guitars. The R6 and R7 should be historically correct. Therefore, the rule of thumb should be the further back you go, the thicker the neck becomes generally. But this might be less drastic than when you compared the R9 to a R8. But still, it might be worth a Google search, but definitely a visit to a store where you can feel the difference. You can use a right-handed version, as the shape on each model should be very consistent.

Next up, determine how you like P90's and humbuckers. Also, try to answer the question what will this new guitar's role be in your arsenal, and what sort of tone will you be chasing. Also consider your amp and pedals, because they will be a huge factor, too. For me, personally, a guitar with P90's will never be a true number one. It's more to add to my collection for a different flavor, rather than taking over my core sound.

These couple of points I made, I feel, will really help you to form a conscious decision on what path you're going on next. After answering these questions for yourself, you can start by comparing a couple of lefty R6's or R7's. It might take a long time, because they don't pop up all the time. But you don't want to make an impulsive decision. Ask around, and maybe ask a store to order one especially for you. Or try the used market. They do pop up from time-to-time.

Hope this helped! Good luck

Many thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Archived