Gibson Brands Forums

setup advice from newbie

Paul_59

Learning to play on new ES 335.

Is it worth the cost of a professional guitar set up on a non budget new Gibson, or would the benefits be more for an accomplished player (certainly not where I am currently)

Your views sought please

It's my opinion that a minimal setup is required on every new guitar after it's delivered to it's end user. This would include (at least) new strings, truss rod, intonation, string height, nut check/lube, and maybe even a fret "polish".

The reason for this is NOT lack of QC at the factory, but the fact that many things on a guitar change with the variance of temperature and humidity. You're really having your guitar setup for your "climate" conditions. For (extreme) example, a guitar built and setup at the factory in Tennessee in the summer, and shipped to Montana in the winter, will be completely whacked out.

The benefits of a properly setup guitar are even greater for the beginner, as a guitar that plays easily, plays/stays in tune, and sounds good will help in the learning curve, by if nothing else, making you want to play it MORE. The more you play, the better you get.

post something in this LP forum with just that (eg: Luthier in Manchester UK Area sought)... there are a number of regulars on this board that live around those parts and probably have some advice.

there's also the place you bought from if it's a brick&mortar store, they may have someone in mind.

Matt Ryan

Luthier Services

13 Westward Ho, Milnrow,

Rochdale OL16 3JX

Phone:01706 711829

Eddie Green

16 Ribblesdale Close

Kirkham

Preston

PR4 2HT

01772 673744

edwardgreen246@btinternet.com

Tito Dalmedo

Dalmedo Custom Guitars and repairs

Deborah Avenue Preston PR2 9HU

07989 168597

dalmedoguitars.co.uk

All come highly recommended.

Ian

I'm based in Manchester and work in the guitar trade so I can give you a few contacts.

Glen, who works out of the shop I work for in Manchester - Forsyths on Deansgate - is a great tech.

Since I have a business link with Glen, in the interests of objectivity I can also recommend a couple of others I have first hand experience of. Steve Robinson who has the www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk website: he's based in Sale and is a fantastic repairer and a lovely guy to deal with. He's always been my go to guy for lacquer touch ups and he usually had something interesting on his bench when I call in.

Matt Ryan is out Rochdale way and has done a fair bit of work for me over the years, he's great. He used to be the house repairer for Sounds Great.

I've always heard good things about the guy who has a shop in the PMT store in Salford although I've never used him myself.

Hope that helps!

Thanks to all of you who took the time to help me with advice.

I finally decided on Steve Robinson (Manchester guitar tech)

Who as Jayyj rightly says is a lovely guy.

Phoned yesterday afternoon, invited me to go around same day, told me it could be ready next day (today)

Called me back late morning to say ready to collect.

Looks to be a really great setup, has transformed playability

(original bone nut cut too shallow)

Really pleased with the results, just rather sad that Gibson Memphis couldn't have supplied it in this state.

Thanks to all of you who took the time to help me with advice.

I finally decided on Steve Robinson (Manchester guitar tech)

Who as Jayyj rightly says is a lovely guy.

Phoned yesterday afternoon, invited me to go around same day, told me it could be ready next day (today)

Called me back late morning to say ready to collect.

Looks to be a really great setup, has transformed playability

(original bone nut cut too shallow)

Really pleased with the results, just rather sad that Gibson Memphis couldn't have supplied it in this state.

IMO it is often not fair to put pressure on Gibson to supply the 'perfect' guitar to all climates in the world....:blink:

Guitars can sometimes play perfectly 'out of the box'

Guitars will often need a 'tweak' from time to time.....including £10000+ top of the range models

V

:-({|=

IMO it is often not fair to put pressure on Gibson to supply the 'perfect' guitar to all climates in the world....:blink:

Guitars can sometimes play perfectly 'out of the box'

Guitars will often need a 'tweak' from time to time.....including £10000+ top of the range models

V

:-({|=

Thanks for your reply, I am not sufficiently experienced or knowledgeable to disagree personally, however whilst I have read similar advice no doubt genuinely given I recently watched a YouTube video rant about Gibson (modern, post 1997) guitars, the gist of the guy's opinion was he had loads of guitars, at least 6 to 10 visible hanging on his wall,

He went on to describe having lived in a cold state Michigan for years then moving to very different climate in Florida, claimed not to have noticed temperature and humidity difference leading to setup problems.

Critique on quality control

He went on to cite examples of Ibanez guitars made in Malaysia and exported to US that played great straight out of crate.

I am not certain what to believe, humidity and temperature changes would seem to logically be capable of effecting some changes, but why more so in some manufacturer's products.

In the short time since revitalising my interest in guitars I can't help noticing how modern Gibson guitars don't seem to be held in high esteem as widely as I remember from late 1970s,or is that a trick of memory?

Archived