Gibson Brands Forums

New ES 335, and its "Baptism"

Craigpoff

HI-

After years of the "wanting" I added to my Gibson collection on New Years Eve with a spanking new 2016 ES-335 (Studio, but thats fine by me....) to go along with my Les Paul Tradition and my beloved ("Old Grandpa") 1953 ES-125. I was amazed by its playability, light weight (for its hefty size) and Studio or not, fine fit and finish (OK, no pick guard...or Gibson ornamentation on the headstock and I can live with dots instead of big mother of pearl inlays on the fretboard). Its voicing is tremendous...I typically don't play on just the bridge pickups, but for punchy twang on that setting the ES 335 rivals and may exceed my Telecaster.

I have had a tremendous first week of playing (and have played no other guitar this week....). My fretboard (and I do like the Studio torrified Maple on the fretboard) is where pop '60s went to die. Last night, I actually played "Downtown" (yeah, I admit it) and two Gary Lewis and the Playboys songs (am I the only one that remembers them??).

However...I think it should be a rule that a new ES 335 should be properly baptized before you have had it too long. Take it to Church..no. To properly baptize a 335 you need to play, as with as much ruckus as you can, "Johnny B. Goode". Yeah, I know that Michael J. Fox and Chuck Berry were 345s but I feel its the song most associated with this style of Gibson. So, we are properly baptized and if anything (shudder) happens to the 335, it will go to Heaven. I will even add the tune to my playlist--previously my only Chuck Berry was "You Never Can Tell".

So, color me happy---with a Les Paul (solid), ES 125 (vintage hollow body) and now I have bridged the two worlds with a (baptized!) ES 335.

My two favorite sayings are: (a) playing an electric Gibson is the most fun a man can have without a woman, and (B) any hour you spend playing the guitar is an hour that you do not grow older.

Craig

Beaufort, SC

Congratulations on your purchase. Finishes and fret markers mean nothing. A 335 is a 335. It's all about the pickups and the amp sound anyway. Great sayings and I do remember Gary Lewis and the Playboys. He lived in the greater Cleveland area for a time. What two of his songs did you perform?

Archived