Gibson Brands Forums

Got a new toy today, and it is a great one

Lars68

I haven't been playing my electric guitar in ages. This is for the simple reason that I can't make my tube amplifier sound good at a level low enough for me to sing with, a level that would be respectful for the rest of my family. So I thought about selling the guitar and amp, but before doing so I decided to give it one last try to make it work. So I went into search mode on the web.

Before long, I found this little fantastic gadget:

https://reverb.com/item/228349-tubular-mods-juice-box-tube-amp-attenuator-16-ohm

I installed it in less than ten seconds today, inside my little combo amp. It lets me turn up my amp to get the sound I want (just a tad of distorsion) and then turn the knob to lower the volume as low as I want, without giving up any tone. Fantastic!

Acoustic guitar will always be my first love, but I now found a use for my electric too. Variety is the spice of life. By the way, I was also gladly surprised to find that the increased sustain of the electric helped guide my singing. I need all the help I can get!

Lars

I run an attenuator in my hot rodded Champ build. It's too loud for my practice room. There was a time I didn't like them and felt that too much was lost not letting the speaker push a greater volume of air. However, now I couldn't care less. I love the one I have now. Like many of you, I am an acoustic player that happens to own some electric guitars.

Youd imagine somthing like that would be standard in most electric amps ..? I imagine youre not the only with this dilemma.

I agree, it really should be standard in tube amps. I have just about the smallest tube amp I could get, but it's still way too loud when turned up for gentle distorsion. I knew of attenuators, but thought they were really big things, with external power, and big fans blowing. This little thing is about the size of a guitar pedal, with no need for external power. It has one input, one output, and a knob. That's it! I played yesterday for about an hour and a half. The box didn't even get warm. Volume problem solved!

Lars

The little Vox AC4TV amp has a built in attenuator which is one of the reasons it has become so popular. I've come that close to getting one but every time I buy another piece of electric guitar gear, hoping that I'll get more into electric guitar, I don't, and I just end up with another piece of rarely used stuff. But that little Vox gets rave reviews.

The little Vox AC4TV amp has a built in attenuator which is one of the reasons it has become so popular. I've come that close to getting one but every time I buy another piece of electric guitar gear, hoping that I'll get more into electric guitar, I don't, and I just end up with another piece of rarely used stuff. But that little Vox gets rave reviews.

I have and LIKE the Vox AC4TV. Great little practice amp! I've had mine since they were 1st introduced.

Musicians Friend has sold them as their Stupid Deal of the Day item 2 or 3 times in the past few months for around $220.00! So keep an eye out I'd be surprised that they aren't on sale there again soon.

I have a Vox Mini 3 G2 that I really like, it was $150 at Guitar Center last summer. Then I have one of the little Fender Mini Twin Amps that I got about 10 years ago, I think it was $30, but it's more of a novelty item. :)

Archived