Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Tribute 2017

leovan83

Hey guys!

Just bought a brand new LP Tribute 2017... I gotta say, wow! What a nice guitar from gibson for less than a grand! I've owned a Gibson Custom LP Custom which I bought new in 2009 and the quality on this guitar is actually way better than the guitar I used to have, for a 4th of the price.

Here's my question for all other 2017 (specifically) owners. On all the pictures and videos I've seen online of the same exact models the body is made of 2 pieces, but they all look very nice and "even", almost to the point it looks it's a solid piece. Mine has also a two piece body but the two pieces are very different from each other and it looks kind of odd - still like it, but I would like to know if I'm he only one out there? I hope I didn't get a factory 2nd... here's a pic, it's not the best pic to show my point but it's what i have right now.

Thanks!!

... On all the pictures and videos I've seen online of the same exact models the body is made of 2 pieces, but they all look very nice and "even", almost to the point it looks it's a solid piece. Mine has also a two piece body but the two pieces are very different from each other and it looks kind of odd - still like it, but I would like to know if I'm he only one out there? I hope I didn't get a factory 2nd...

As RCT said, 2 piece bodies are normal and Gibson doesn't sell factory seconds. On the less expensive models the piece matching is hit or miss - it's a way to hold down the cost. IOW matching is more carefully done on the more expensive models and what is left over is put together for the less expensive models. While the look is sometimes odd, there's nothing wrong with the wood and you get a better price. I'm guessing you bought this guitar online probably looking at beautiful stock advertising pictures on not pics of the actual individual guitar. Here's some online retailers that show pics of the actual individual guitar for sale - Sweetwater (Fort Wayne, Indiana); The Music Zoo (Roslyn, New York); Wildwood Guitars (Louisville, Colorado); Rainbow Guitars (Tucson, Arizona).

Seems like you're happy with the guitar except for the back. If you decide to exchange remember you might get receive an exchange guitar that isn't as nice/good as the one you have now. OR, you could return your guitar and visit some shops in person to pick one out, avoiding the problems of buying unseen/unplayed.

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah I kinda started to figure out the 2-piece matching related to the "expensiveness" of the model. I actually really like the way it looks, but since it's the first time I've seen a Les Paul's mahogany back (all the Ines I had before were painted over), I was just curious.

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah I kinda started to figure out the 2-piece matching related to the "expensiveness" of the model. I actually really like the way it looks, but since it's the first time I've seen a Les Paul's mahogany back (all the Ines I had before were painted over), I was just curious.

The more pieces the body is made of, the better. But you can't tell seasoned, experienced, well-traveled internet guitar players that. So rejoice, two pieces better than one, three better than two, and so on. Less and less chance of cupping, which even a little bit of curl at the edges can pop the paint and start letting moisture under it, which leads to worse things.

Enjoy, sounds like a nice guitar!

rct

Archived