Gibson Brands Forums

WTB R7 Goldtop

WC58

Mods, if this isn't allowed, I apologize.

I'm searching far and wide for a '00-'07 R7 Goldtop. I don't care about condition, but I have two absolute requirements.

it must be 8 lbs 15 oz or less

Neck size MUST be massive....big shoulders, Fat "C", beefy, chunky etc and at least .945" depth at the first fret....

The should be one of those guitars that typical guitarists run from, because the neck is so ridiculously HUGE.

The reason for those years listed above, is that they "typically" have those style necks. I already know that anything '09 and newer will not work...

I could care less about CoA's, case candy etc.

I will pay a finders fee if you locate me one....

Thanks

Guest Farnsbarns

You're not going to find this beast. 8.15 lbs would be light for an R9, let alone an R7. All the necks are hand shaped and differ slightly so there's no reason to believe that anything past 09 will be any more or less appropriate for you.

Typically R7s just don't have C shaped necks or big shoulders. More soft V. Softer than an R6 but still not C shaped.

My 09 R7 weighs in at 9lb 3oz. I wouldn't describe the neck as a soft V though. It's a big fat C or maybe D shape all the way up the neck.

I've got a CS Clapton strat which has a decidedly soft V neck and the R7 is nothing like it.

Guest Farnsbarns

My 09 R7 weighs in at 9lb 3oz. I wouldn't describe the neck as a soft V though. It's a big fat C or maybe D shape all the way up the neck.

I've got a CS Clapton strat which has a decidedly soft V neck and the R7 is nothing like it.

Well, those I've played definitely had a slight V. Not visible but obvious in the hand. My R6 had a very V shaped neck and I've played others which were much softer than mine. The point is, they're shaped by hand so each one is different.

A "massive" neck is going to add weight. I would say that you may be looking for a chambered Les Paul. I have had several of the CR7's with necks as you describe. HUGE. The year and the R number has really nothing to do with the neck profile as each are hand formed and certain dealers have ordered different profiles. i once had a CR that had a neck smaller than an R0. Looking for a specific neck profile without trying it yourself is probably going to not have the results you want unless you know the salesperson and they know what you like. The biggest neck profile that normally comes out of the Custom shop is on the Lee Roy Parnell goldtop. Try checking one of those.

You're not going to find this beast. 8.15 lbs would be light for an R9, let alone an R7. All the necks are hand shaped and differ slightly so there's no reason to believe that anything past 09 will be any more or less appropriate for you.

Typically R7s just don't have C shaped necks or big shoulders. More soft V. Softer than an R6 but still not C shaped.

Actually, I've owned quite a few of these beasts..... I don't know what R7's you've had experience with, but I have never come across a "V" shaped neck on any Historic, much less an R7. I don't know

where that's coming from. I've owned over 20 and have done work on over 100 Historics ranging from the late 90's through 2014. So yes, I know what specs certain years "typically" have.

Without beating this dead horse, all 8 of the '00, 01' and '02's (1 '00 R7, 2 '01 R7's, 3 01' R8's, 1 '02 R7 and 1 '02 R8) that I owned had very large/fat "C" shaped necks and all were between 8 lbs 6 oz and 8 lbs 13 oz.

And yes, there was/is a definite change in neck shapes (much less shoulder and not as deep) than previous model years, starting with the 2009's.

But thanks for the input.

A "massive" neck is going to add weight. I would say that you may be looking for a chambered Les Paul. I have had several of the CR7's with necks as you describe. HUGE. The year and the R number has really nothing to do with the neck profile as each are hand formed and certain dealers have ordered different profiles. i once had a CR that had a neck smaller than an R0. Looking for a specific neck profile without trying it yourself is probably going to not have the results you want unless you know the salesperson and they know what you like. The biggest neck profile that normally comes out of the Custom shop is on the Lee Roy Parnell goldtop. Try checking one of those.

Hey Dan.....

Tried a Parnell.....wasn't bad....but it already had a buyer on it. As for a CR7, I've been looking for one......can't find 'em.....if you know of any....

I know we have talked at length already...( remember 2 years ago I missed by minutes, that CR7 Custom BB ( well GB= Green Beauty...lol)

OK, not a Goldtop, but a triple p'up CR7 Custom with that huge neck would've worked IIRC the serial was 7 62022...

Anyway, I'll find one at some point.

As usual, if you hear of anything, ring me up

Dave

Still looking mate?

I am selling a 2003 57 custom shop reissue gold top with a massive neck and I believe it comes in around 8lbs according to my bathroom scales :) .... Im based in UK tho.

J

x

Mods, if this isn't allowed, I apologize.

I'm searching far and wide for a '00-'07 R7 Goldtop. I don't care about condition, but I have two absolute requirements.

it must be 8 lbs 15 oz or less

Neck size MUST be massive....big shoulders, Fat "C", beefy, chunky etc and at least .945" depth at the first fret....

The should be one of those guitars that typical guitarists run from, because the neck is so ridiculously HUGE.

The reason for those years listed above, is that they "typically" have those style necks. I already know that anything '09 and newer will not work...

I could care less about CoA's, case candy etc.

I will pay a finders fee if you locate me one....

Thanks

Still looking mate?

I am selling a 2003 57 custom shop reissue gold top with a massive neck and I believe it comes in around 8lbs according to my bathroom scales :) .... Im based in UK tho.

J

x

Id' definitely like to know how the neck specs out and get a confirmation on the weight....feel free to private msg me

and thanks..!!

Dave

Archived