Gibson Brands Forums

bad serial #

Guest jobo

I have a 2013 Gibson SGJ purchased at Guitar Center missing the first 2 digits of serial #looks like stamper was not flat can anyone help me figure this out

Photos would help, but I don't know how that works as a "guest". You also give very little information on how many digits you have, or how many you think there should be.

Anyway, even the faintest of impressions will show up under certain light/shadow circumstances, or "rubbing".

First, get a small flashlight and shine it across the SN area at a very shallow, low, almost straight angle. The light, at the correct angle, will create shadow areas IN depressions, and BEHIND any raised sections. This may render the info you seek, if not..... read on.

Second, get a sheet of thin paper and a pencil with a long section of graphite showing. Hold the paper down very tight over the SN area and rub the side of the pencil lead across the area. You might remember this procedure from grade school art period. This will show any minute details of imperfections in the wood and may render you the info you seek. If not.... last try below!

Inspect the area in a dark room under a "blacklight". You'd be surprised what blacklight can reveal about a guitar.

Archived